Question about Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hoveboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Two of my fish, Falcula Butterfly and Yellow Cowfish have the Ich and need treatment. All my other fish and inverts are fine at the moment. For obvious reasons I cannot treat the main display with copper.....

My question is, can I lower the salinity levels in the main tank safely for 4-6 weeks to control/eradicate the Ich or do I have to qt the two fish and treat with hypo seperately?

If the second option is true, how do I ensure my main display is free from the parasites before re-introducing the two fish? I do have a uv unit but am not entirely convinced as to its effectiveness due to the two sick fish although none of my other fish are infested (2 firefish, 1 percula, 1 dragon wrasse and two blue damsels).

FYI, invertwise I have two skunk cleaners, a peppermint cleaner, several turbos, three hermits, a long-spined urchin and about 150lbs of lr.

Thanks

My question is, can I lower the salinity levels in the main tank safely for 4-6 weeks to control/eradicate the Ich or do I have to qt the two fish and treat with hypo seperately?

>>hyposalinity<< should be emoployed in a seperate quarantine tank, the inverts will not handle the lowered SG very well.

how do I ensure my main display is free from the parasites before re-introducing the two fish?

The only way to be sure is to remove all the fish from the display and leave it fishless for 4-6 weeks, all the ick in that tank will die.

reefrunner69 said:
The only way to be sure is to remove all the fish from the display and leave it fishless for 4-6 weeks, all the ick in that tank will die.

This is a little impractical for me...space...cashflow...you understand?! :oops:
Only have a small 10g qt tank so would be a bit pushed for space.
Any other ways?

PS. Do I have to qt my inverts at all or will they be ok?

Just a thought :idea:

Could I move my inverts to the qt tank and then hypo the main display?

Wondering??
:?

Back
Top Bottom