Sick damsel fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patches22033

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently realized my damsel's face has turned white just around one eye. It was a nice blue color but the side of it's face is now white. The eye has a white covering over it and it's also puffy. What is happening to my fish?

Is the eye cloudy? Is it puffed out? These are usually signs of not so good water quality. What are your water test results? Some frequent PWC`s might be needed.

I just started my biocube 29 tank 2 weeks ago and am having the same issue - one of my black and white striped damsels has a puffy white eye but the other 4 are fine. All levels in the tank are testing perfect. Also, found was keeping on light too long so beginnings of green haired algea - cutting back to 6-8 hours light. What happened with your fish/issue?

@beach Did you cycle the tank first? If not, return the fish till the tank cycles. Please post numbers for your perfect water conditions. What have you tested and what test kit are you using? HA is from excess nutrients, not to much light. Cutting back the lights is just one part of process to rid a tank of HA.

Thanks so much - no, started tank 3 weeks ago but none of the levels (according to the reef master test kit) are out of whack: I've been testing everyday don't think it's HA, just a little green but cut back light to 6-8 hours and looking so much better - here are my levels:

Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Phoaphate - 0
High range pH -8.2
Nitrate - 0
Calcuim - 460 - 480

skimmer finally working - been rinsing carb filter, added carb bags (3) and ammonia remover bag to back area. Unfortunately, I can't find the fish - LITERALLY, think it jumped ship and dogs ate it because it's NOWHERE to be found - checked back, filters, rocks.other 4 damsels, shrimp and crabs doing great? when will it begin cycling? thanks for help to the novice.

Back
Top Bottom