Sick Flame Angel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cando

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello

Ive had my flame angel for about 1 1/2 yrs now (my tank is a well established 4yr old tank). Recently, my angel has been acting differently, swimming with its head pointing upwards and finning with jerky movements as if it was trying not to sink to the bottom (not at all like the smooth way it usually glides through the water.) It does not seem to be breathing hard at all, and it still eats very well and otherwise seems to be ok. There are no spots of any kind on the fins or body and the fins themselves seem to be in good shape and intact.

My nitrates, nitrites, phosphates, PH, alkalinity, temp, salinity, calcium and ammonia are all normal. I havent added any new critters to the tank and I run a DSB with live rock and a protein skimmer.

Can anyone tell me why the sudden change in behavior? It seems like its struggling to stay afloat but otherwise looks ok and eats well. Is there some sort of swim bladder sickness that i should know about? If thats the case, wouldnt it be turning on its side as well?

Thanks

Hi,
I've the same problem that you've described except my flame angel is still pretty fresh in my QT. How's your angel now?

Other than the outward signs being negative, have you noticed any recent aggression from other tank mates? What is the primary diet for the fish?

Swim bladder problems are not only due to bacterial problems but can also be a part of diet, temp variations or possibley a sudden physical blow to the fish. Before any medicinal interaction is taken, I would suggest a simple solution that may help. Try feeding the angel some boiled peas that have been slightly mashed. Often clearing the bowel will releive the pressure on the swim bladder if that is the cause. The sooner the better. If you do not notice any improvement within a day and the awkward swimming continues you may need to opt for an antibiotic in a proper QT tank.

Cheers
Steve

For mine, there's no outward signs at all. It has a little ich which was gone after a day of myxazin. This morning it suddenly starts to behave in this manner. I've removed the fellow into a tank of new water as a precaution for water posioning since I've a slight surge in nitrite to around 0.4ppm this morning which was only 0.05ppm the previous day.
Could this be a side effect of myxazin? I'm not sure what's its condition now. Hope it can lives till I return home later.

Unfortunately my angel died a few days ago. I had contacted my LFS to ask what the problem might be or if there was a cure and was told that swim bladder infections usually cant be cured with antibiotic and that there might be a good chance it will take care of itself. Obviously that didnt happen and the Angel died.

My water conditions are near perfect. I feed flake, brine shrimp, marine blend and Nori for the tangs. All my other fish are healthy and in good shape. I also didnt notice any aggression towards my Angel. Ive had it for almost 1 1/2yrs.

Sad to hear that this happened. Mine is still struggling. I've made a full water change to make sure that it was not water poisoning. Hope mine survives through.

Steve,
The angel doesn't seem to feed. I can't get the pea down its throat. Any suggestion? I was told that octozin from waterlife may help. What do you think?

Sorry for the loss. :(

Cando said:
Unfortunately my angel died a few days ago. I had contacted my LFS to ask what the problem might be or if there was a cure and was told that swim bladder infections usually cant be cured with antibiotic and that there might be a good chance it will take care of itself. Obviously that didnt happen and the Angel died.
That is partially true. Bladder infections can be extremely hard to cure but are not impossible. If the animal is otherwise eating you can feed it antibiotic soaked foods. This will sometimes (but not always) aid the problem. Simpley placing the fish in a QT with generally administered antibiotics will rarely work. A good bowel movement in many cases is the main issue.

My water conditions are near perfect. I feed flake, brine shrimp, marine blend and Nori for the tangs. All my other fish are healthy and in good shape. I also didnt notice any aggression towards my Angel. Ive had it for almost 1 1/2yrs.
The only cause I can honestly suggest here would be you got a bad batch of brine. If not prepared properly by the manufacturer it could have been the cause. One reason I personally do not feed frozen foods as they are more often the cause of internal problems. The only other explaination although far fetched after a year would be cyanide poisoning from capture. It has been speculated on several occassions that this can lead to fish death some time later. :?:

Cheers
Steve

birman said:
Steve,
The angel doesn't seem to feed. I can't get the pea down its throat. Any suggestion? I was told that octozin from waterlife may help. What do you think?
I am not a fan of dumping chemicals into a tank in hopes of a cure. I would honestly suggest >>QTing<< the fish to provide a lower water flow environment allowing for less stress on the fish. Drain water from the main tank to the QT so the fish will not need to endure further stress.

Soak the foods in a good broad spectrum antibiotic for gram negative bacteria. Be very careful when choosing the med. If for primarily FW it will be geared toward gram positive bacteria in which there are very few in SW. When preparing the dose, mix in a tall glass of tank water and then use 2-3 tbsp of that water to soak the foods.

Adding a few drops of garlic to the water just prior to feeding may entice the angel to feed. If the fish will not feed, this will be very difficult. I do not think there is much else you can do in these situations.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for all your input. I never thought the brine could be a problem. Ive been feeding with it for a while now and all other fish are ok. I wish i had known about the boiled peas earlier, maybe that would have worked...who knows.

Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom