Sick Flame Angel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

echidnanebulosa

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My flame angle has a bacterial infection, its one eye is swollen. I started to treat my tank with Melafix but it is not getting any better. The fish is now on its back but yet still alive. Is there anything I can do to help? This is my second Flame Angel that has gotten this, my first one died. My water quality is fine and everyone else is fine. Could it be my LFS?

The fish is now on its back but yet still alive.
May be to late, sorry to say. I would like to see you move him to qt, but it would do more harm at this point.
Is there anything I can do to help?
Do a good size water change with some well aged and airated mix, keep water quality high.

one eye is swollen.
Is usually a physical injury.

Could it be my LFS?
Depends on where they get their stock from. Many times these fish are cyanide caught and are doomed from the get go. I would definitely try another store. See if they will allow you to leave a deposit so you can observe the fish for a week or so. At the very least make sure you SEE the fish eat before bringing it home. Also a qt tank is ideal for new fish. In a qt setting, you may have been able to treat the fish more effectively and also keep any ailments out of your display tank.
Good luck, I hope he pulls through.

He's doing slightly better, right now he lodges himself in a rock so he dosn't have to swim. The only other saltwater places I can find are 2 hours away. My LFS definetly wouldn't allow a deposite. When I returned my last flame for the guarentee they said I had ammonia in my tank! I didn't get the refund and I went home and tested with 3 different kits and got none. I believe they change the ratio of drops so they wouldn't have to fork out $60.

I'm pulling for you and your CB.
But if you take any advise from this forum. Take the one that advises you to qt all your new fish for the future. Believe me, I learned the hard way. Its a small investment well spent.
If your LFS will not work with you, maybe you could go to the internet. There are several good stores selling quality animals out there now. My LFS included.

Back
Top Bottom