Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-07-2004, 10:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to TriggerHappy Send a message via MSN to TriggerHappy Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerHappy
Snowflake Eel not looking good

What should I do? I have had my snowflake eel for 4 days and he is not looking good. I saw him eat once, now he does not show much movement and just lies on the rocks, kind of sideways. Sometimes he shows a 'choking type' act. I have the SG at about 1.020 now. Should I raise it? Any advice will help!!

Tank Setup
Niger Trigger
Maroon Clown
BiColor Angel
P-H 8.2 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 10-15ppm
Crushed Coral 60lbs
1 MaxiJet 1200 PH, 1 ZooMed PH, XP2 Filstar

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're going to feel all day."
Dean Martin.
TriggerHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 11:26 PM   #2
steve-s

How large is the eel and how's the color (faded?)? Larger eels do not usually do well being transported and can often just give up. If a smaller eel, it could be acclimation stress.

How's the tank specs?

As for the SG, you should really keep in closer to 1.025 (35ppt) no matter what you keep. Lower SG's will serve no purpose and can actually shorten the lifespan of the fish.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-09-2004, 04:07 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to TriggerHappy Send a message via MSN to TriggerHappy Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerHappy
The eel is about 13-14 inches. PH around 8.2, Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate around 40. I thought I read that lower SG will prevent ich (can eels get ich??). I am slowly raising the SG.

What about feeding, what is/is not recommeded?

Thanks.

Tank Setup
Niger Trigger
Maroon Clown
BiColor Angel
Crushed Coral 60lbs

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're going to feel all day."
Dean Martin.
Old 05-09-2004, 02:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

How did you acclimate the eel? What is the temp of your tank? I would suggest doing many small water changes to bring up the SG and it will help bring down the Nitrates in your tank. As for what they eat, its all trial and error. Try some fresh sqid, clams, scallops, my eel is partial to silversides and fresh shrimp. My eel wont eat anything soaked in garlic, and every one that i talk to that keeps eels says the same. Good luck.
Old 05-09-2004, 04:21 PM   #5
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerHappy
I thought I read that lower SG will prevent ich (can eels get ich??).
Although eels can succumb to parasites, they are extremely resiliant. With the lower salinity part you have been misinformed. Only a salinity of 1.009 (14 ppt) will have any affect on C. irritans. The lowered salinity (1.020) will have no affect with ich but it will adversely affect the health of the animals.

As far as feedings I agree with Stresco, it's a bit of trial and error. I have found that frozen krill can be a good enticement. Something with a good scent to it. Once they start eating and adjust, they usually don't care much and are pretty much pigs.

If possible, also use a feeding stick and place it right in front of it's snout (without startling it). They are quite clumbsy fish and even though they know food is in the vacinity, they can stumble about for a time before they find it.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-10-2004, 01:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I raised it to 1.021 but the eel was dead this morning. That's it no more fish from PETCO!

Tank Setup
Niger Trigger
Maroon Clown
BiColor Angel
Crushed Coral 60lbs

Dean Martin.
Old 05-10-2004, 04:37 PM   #7
steve-s

Sorry for your loss

I would still continue to raise the salinity until you get up closer to 35 ppt. Just be sure you go slowly. About 0.001 SG or equivalent ppt each day.

If you decide on an eel if future, make sure it has a very vibrant color and is only about 6-8" in length. Younger eels have a much better acclimation record than more mature ones.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
eel, flake, snowflake, snowflake eel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com