SPS polyps not extending and turned black?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sniperhank

Giant Clam Addict
img_2004211_0_f8d3d810fbf047fe9a4e5b3e7a0f70d1.jpg

So I was meaning to post this the other day... I'm not exactly sure what this means at all. All other corals are doing well 0,0,0 parameters with 1.026. All other polyps are extended and it continues to regain its color, as it was mostly white upon arrival and being acclimated to my tank. Any thoughts?

In the pics it looks like purpleish spots which could mean its doing good. It appears the polyps are out also so I would just keep an eye on it. How long have you had the frag?

I want to say a month. It came in with pink tips and white the whole base from shipping. 2 hr drip acclimation and it just hasnt got all its color back yet. But the polyp extention is there.

I'm in no means an expert with SPS coral, so I would wait for someone else to chime in. I only have 1 acropora frag.

But, in my opinion, the top is browning and the base is bleaching. Perhaps not enough light? That is what I would think if it were my frag.

it is a nice frag though. Good size.

Geewhiz Scott we are right on eachother heels tonight lol. I'm not an sps expert as I just started in that aspect of the reef keeping game. I did learn the best way to acclimate sps is to let them sit out of water for about 5 minutes then add them straight to the tank. When out of water they coat themselves in mucus to prevent drying out (defense against low tide) then it slowly dissolves away. What do you have for lighting in your tank? If its been a month and your just now seeing this issue I doubt it's due to acclimation or lighting though. From the pic it doesnt look to be a problem but pics have a way of messing with colors. Heck it may just be a flow issue.

I have 2 ecotech radions above my tank. 15 inches above the water. I don't think it is a lighting or flow issue. I even just double checked it. The polyps are still extended and moving nicely in the breeze...can't think of a better way to say it lol. My only thought would have been it got burned by salt...though I mix 24 hours ahead of time so I'm not sure how that would be an issue, or that something was nipping at it...but when I have a coral beauty, lawnmower blenny, indigo dottyback, and 2 b&w clowns I'm not sure who would even be interested...the beauty has never had interest in the corals and I have never seen it come close to one. All other SPS frags that were added at the same time are having no issues.

Hmmmm I'm stumped then. Could be nothing really, keep an eye on it is all I can really offer for advice but it appears you have that well in hand lol.

Not really sure what the issue is here? The frag looks fine and seems to just be getting its color back. SPS can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks to get their color back after shipping. Yours looks like it's doing very well.

Back
Top Bottom