Very pale foxface

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike406

Aquarium Advice Regular
My foxface that I put in my tank on Friday. 3 days ago is swimming up to the surface constantly. His color at the moment is mainly whitish besides the yellow tail. He had a lot more yellow last night before I went to bed. I have 2 power heads rated at 325 gph facing the surface on opposite sides of my tank. My levels are suddenly ammonia 0.25. Nitrates 5.0. Nitrites 0.25. And ph 7.8. Please help with input. Thanks. Salinity is 1.023

mike406 said:
my foxface that i put in my tank on friday. 3 days ago is swimming up to the surface constantly. His color at the moment is mainly whitish besides the yellow tail. He had a lot more yellow last night before i went to bed. I have 2 power heads rated at 325 gph facing the surface on opposite sides of my tank. My levels are suddenly ammonia 0.25. Nitrates 5.0. Nitrites 0.25. And ph 7.8. Please help with input. Thanks. Salinity is 1.023

image-3103570612.jpg

How Long has your tank been set up? Is it cycled? And what did you cycle with? I would do a PWC to bring down ammo and Trites. Right now he's being burned by ammonia and he can't breath cuz of the Trites, which is why he's going to the surface. You might have had a weak cycle, but the BB not able to handle an actual fish peeing/ pooping in regular basis.

It's been cycled or so I thought for 10 days. Omg. How much of a water change and should I do anything with the media in my Tom rapids rp3 wet dry. ? Thanks for ur input. Please let me know

mike406 said:
It's been cycled or so I thought for 10 days. Omg. How much of a water change and should I do anything with the media in my Tom rapids rp3 wet dry. ? Thanks for ur input. Please let me know

Since its not extremely high, I would do 30% PWC. Wouldn't mess with the media, it needs to build BB, don't wanna disturb that at this time. Once the water pareters are under control, rinse all that media out in old tank water, but leave it for now. I'd check water params every day and do another PWC if elevated again. Might take many PWC, since it seems tank didn't have a good strong cycle.

It also might help to drop an airstone in there to add extra oxygen until the nitrites are at zero. Then take the airstone out after they're zero.

Ok so my fox face is looking better. I did a 10% water change yesterday and a 10% change today. Before today's water change the levels were. Ammonia 0. Nitrate 5. Nitrite 0 and ph 8.0 to 8.2. So how are we doing ?

Numbers look much better!! Glad to hear the foxface is looking better too. You don't need to do daily PWC if ammonia and Trites at 0. Just keep those at zero and Trates below 40 (as close to zero as you can get is better, though), and your fish should do well. PH seems ok too. Good job!!

Back
Top Bottom