What is this coming from my linkia star

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

usmcmarc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My blue linkia star started getting this brown thing coming from it's center. At first I though it was it's stomach. But 3 days later it's huge...Anyone have a clue what is going on? Spawning maybe?

Attachments

• HPIM1679.jpg
    HPIM1679.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 102
  • PICT0006 (2).jpg
    PICT0006 (2).jpg
    65 KB · Views: 86
  • PICT0006.jpg
    PICT0006.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 106
  • PICT0008.jpg
    PICT0008.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 87
Thats waht I thought initialy. But 3 of them? You see 2 in the pic, but I found one of those inch long pieces on the substrate too. I almost thought it looked like the tissue inside the arms molted. You know how if you get a bad sunburn and the skin peels off. It's almost like that.

Starfish normally extrude the stomach to feed (sometimes) but that doesn't look like its it. The stomach they do extrude is a sack like thing.

I would venture a guess that you are seeing the gonads.

I never saw that out of mine, but then again I only see mine semi annually. I have no clue what that is.

From the article Ziggy quoted. Doesn't seem to be a spawning event...."Like the majority of other sea stars, the sexes appear to be separate in Linckia, and the animals spawn gametes freely into the water column. Most often, they will hold onto the substrate with the tips of their arms, arch the body high into the water and spray either sperm or eggs into the water above them. If a male and female happen to spawn in close proximity to one another, the fertilized eggs develop into feeding larvae within a couple of days."

Last edited:
One of my more trusted LFS says those things need a fairly good sized tank to have a chance at surviving. I was considering putting one in my 46g and they discouraged it. If I'm remembering right, you have a 20+g cube or something like that, that's probably kept pretty darn clean.

IF the star makes it through the acclimation process (long-term effects can last over a month) then usually nutrition is culprit unless there are obvious predation issues at hand. Most Linckias are improperly handled so fatalities are high except for those with particular color morphs = better care/handling.

Most Linckias are improperly handled so fatalities are high

What is proper handling for one of those. I was throwing around the idea of one of those for my brothers 90 gal tank? I heard most stars can't be out of the water because the exposer to oxy kills them or something?

particular color morphs = better care/handling.

What do you mean by color morphs? How do i tell if one is doing well in the store?

Sorry to hear about your star. I did not have very good luck with mine either. He lasted less than a month and did the same thing as yours.

that's the pits!

Sorry, I should have stipulated "proper handling" in reference from the diver-wholesale facility. Prolonged air exposure of 10min+ could cause irreversible damage internally, same with sea urchins and other invertebrates, but the main concern is their low tolerance to changes in salinity, temperature, and pH. I've never hesitated exposing them to air during the couple seconds it takes to transfer them; however, that does not mean that they will not succumb in the coming months because of starvation.

Many species, as I am sure you are aware, have varied color morphs depending on region. Blue Linckias are very popular if not the most popular, but ime the red variant receives better handling because it is not as readily available. Other colorations also exist and seemingly have better outlooks...just some observations :)

Oh ok. Stars are just scavengers right? How big of a tank would you suggest so they have enough to eat and won't starve?

Sorry if i am jacking your thread. If its an issue i will start a new one.

As far as the starving part, I put a half of an algea wafer under mine and they usually over a couple hours take most of it in. It has worked for me as far as feeding. I am sorry if he is dying. I would maybe try putting a small piece of this algea wafer under him to see if it will help. I would not give up just because they say he will die. Maybe he will but give it an effort first. I hope all goes well.

Hard to say what to feed because no one seems to know what they feed upon in the wild other than perhaps microfauna. You can try a variety of foods, but no promises. If you can find one that actually takes in prepared foods then a 75g should be sufficient, but more likely a 100g+ with accumulating detritus and random "muck" would be best I think.

Back
Top Bottom