What is wrong with my frag?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

havefun

Aquarium Advice Freak
I went to the lfs to get some shrooms and saw this tiny thing growing in their tank. They didn't even know they had it, didn't know what it was other than some kind of leather.
For a while it did really well in my tank, got bigger/fuller etc. But now I think there is something wrong. In the "before" pic you can see it is nice and plump (for lack of a better word). But now (in the "after" pic) you can see it looks like the base is starting to shrivel up. Is that normal as they grow or is something wrong? Should I move it closer to the top for more light?

Thanks,
Steve

,that is a toadstool leather,baby one. they are suspossed to retract there tenicals when scared or stressed. mine does it all the time. i have hade mine 5 years plus. also have a baby one next to it for 2 years. slow grower. your light is probably bighter then the fish store light. they love bright light. give it more time. just keep your water in good shape. ph,kh,cal.

troutman,
Thanks for the ID and info! In the "before" and "after" pics, does it look like it's "rotting" from the bottom up? This is one of my first corals so I really don't know what it should look like. Maybe they just grow this way?

As for the lighting, I've got 4 x 65w on a 75g tank. The coral is near the bottom (maybe 4 inches or so up from the bottom). Should I move it higher or will it do ok where it's at?

Thanks again!

it looks fine, i would move it 3/4 up to top. it likes a med water flow. wave maker is my favorite.

Back
Top Bottom