Whitespot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim D

Aquarium Advice Regular
At the moment I am going through the soul destroying process of removing dead fish from my aquarium because of whitespot. I dont have a hospital tank. I have been treating them with exodin. My water quality is just about ok ....just live rock and a powerhead keeping it going. My question is.... If i lose my fish will invertebrates and crustations become host to the parasite. My intension was if i lose fish just let it be for a few weeks then restock.

If you leave the tank fishless for 4-5 weeks it will be fine, during that time you should consider setting up a quarantine tank to quarantine future occupants. Most find when they start using a q-tank, there fish mortality rate goes down considerably, even if the fish never come down with a parasite or disease during quarantine.

reefrunner cheers......can inverts be hosts to this

I am now on the 7th day of treatment and things are slow at getting better. So far lost 2 percula's, a little wrasse and the fish that started it. Got a maroon clown and yellow tailed blue damsel looking rough but still feeding and hanging on, hope they make it ok. Water parameters seem ok, but ammonia level 0.5, not too bad as only live rock and powerhead supporting it. Just got a actinic lamp running so corals look a bit yuch. When should I do some water changes as I ain't done any since this happened. Wish it would get back to normal. Before I get any more fish I got so set up hospital tank, don't want to go through this again. As well as costing a fortune it's a shame for the fish I lost, I hated that.

Fingers crossed, Things are looking better. My yellow banded clown has got a lot better and has started eating again and looking a bit more active. others are also ok. Corals looking a bit jaded...no lights on apart from actinic.

now 15 day's since starting the task of treating whitespot in my tank and I may now have turned the corner. Things where looking a bit jaded,corals, tank in general. PH a bit low, amonnia levels a little bit up, so have now done a couple of small water changes, ph back up to 8.2 but corals still not happy looking. Have since turned skimmer back on. How much water changes should i do, Don't want to distress my fish to much. nitrite 0.0/ Nitrates a bit high.

Back
Top Bottom