Betta Bloating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltypuppy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Averytime I feed my new betta fish. He gets bloated! I'm not sure why. I am feeding Omega One Betta Buffet Pelets. I changed off of Hikari Betta Bio - gold because the ingredients don't seem any better then any other cheapo food. So I bought these.

Well I don't understand his bloating problem. I feed how two pellets twice a day. This is also what I feed my other fish and they are fine. He will get bloated and then I fast him for a day or two and then he is fine again.

So I have no idea what is going on. The first week or so that I had him he seemed pretty un happy. He has been with me for a week now and he is much better! He is all prickly and he swims around and even has made a nest. So I would believe all is well...

So does anyone have any ideas? Is he sick? Do I need different food?

Also is .25 PPM ammonia a huge problem? My water is ALWAYS .25 PPM, right from the tap... is there anything I can do about that? Do I have to do anything?

Tank Info :

Q -tank - 1 Gallon
Water Changes - Full Every day - Everyother Day
Heated : 80 *
Fed : 4 Pellets a day

img_1693968_0_2c135a30ba00cb8f66db85fab7e1e122.jpg

This is The day after I bought him...

* EDIT - So maybe bloated isn't the word. Those fish that are 'bloated' look like they could pop! My fish just looks kinda chubby I guess. Chubbier then my other fish though...

Last edited:
Try feeding 2 pellets once a day.
And also if you had a tank big enough for a filter then the .25 ppm would be able to get broken down. But since im guessing you dont have a filter on the 1 gallon than yes, a constant level of .25 is bad

Try feeding 2 pellets once a day.
And also if you had a tank big enough for a filter then the .25 ppm would be able to get broken down. But since im guessing you dont have a filter on the 1 gallon than yes, a constant level of .25 is bad

He is in a 1 gallon Q- tank. He will be going into a divided ten gallon when I am sure he is disease free. I will try giving him just two pellets. I have .25 PPM in my 10 gallon tank.

Ten Gallon Parameters :
pH : 7.4
Nitrite: 0 PPM
Nitrate :0 PPM - .5 PPM (Closer to 0)
Ammonia : .25 PPM all the time!

Ahhh good.

Your ten gallon isnt cycled then. Unless youre getting a false reading

It has been up and running with a filter for MONTHS! So... how is it not cycled? Am I doing something wrong? Like I said my tap water comes out .25 ppm.

* (This is from someone else on here... is this true?) ( I do have an API Master Kit...) First, what are you testing with?? If it's the API test kit, then you may actually have 0 ammonia. The test doesn't come out as brilliant a yellow as you see on your color chart. The main thing you are really looking for is a "lack of green", but it can still appear closer to the 0.25 than the 0. The best thing to do is a side-by-side test with your tank water and either RODI or distilled water as a control sample..... something you KNOW has no ammonia in it. If the colors are the same, then you're good.

Im just curious if he had bloating issues when you were feeding the hikari? If not, i switch back to it (or nls) & ditch the cheap food. Poor quality food is enough to cause bloating & swimbladder issues in any fish.

Im just curious if he had bloating issues when you were feeding the hikari? If not, i switch back to it (or nls) & ditch the cheap food. Poor quality food is enough to cause bloating & swimbladder issues in any fish.

I don't know if it is poor quality food. Seems better quality then Hikari gold. Those pellets have the same ingredients as cheap food now. Also I have never fed him Hikari as he is new. My other fish used to eat Hikari and I changed foods, and none of my other fish are bloated.

I'd do as Saltpuppy states and test against some spring water. When I first started I had a hard time discerning between 0 and .25 on test kit and for a while I thought I had .25 ammonia when I really had 0. Test it against spring water which has 0 ammonia and compare the tubes and see if they match; if they do, your tank is 0. If not, then you do have .25. It's expected that the betta bowl would have the ammonia in your tap since it doesn't have a filter but your tank should be cycled and showing 0 ammonia by now if it's been running for months unless it's severely overstocked.

@Saltpuppy, thanks for clarifying the API test kit descrepency because my test tube results are never the light yellow that's on the color chart, but doesn't have green in it, so I feel more at ease now.

I'd do as Saltpuppy states and test against some spring water. When I first started I had a hard time discerning between 0 and .25 on test kit and for a while I thought I had .25 ammonia when I really had 0. Test it against spring water which has 0 ammonia and compare the tubes and see if they match; if they do, your tank is 0. If not, then you do have .25. It's expected that the betta bowl would have the ammonia in your tap since it doesn't have a filter but your tank should be cycled and showing 0 ammonia by now if it's been running for months unless it's severely overstocked.

Nope just two bettas in a tank. I will test some spring water when I get home. I find it odd that I have .25 ppm. I saw that problem with the API master kit and thought it was interesting. So I have a new test to do. :)

@Saltpuppy, thanks for clarifying the API test kit descrepency because my test tube results are never the light yellow that's on the color chart, but doesn't have green in it, so I feel more at ease now.
Yup. I thought it was my tap water. But it may be my test kit. Soooo I am going to test spring water. Maybe you should too!

I fasted my betta fish yesterday. His bloated belly is gone again. So starting today I am going to be feeding him two pellets a day and we will see if he gets bloated. Is two pellets enough to feed him in day?

It is possible to have .25ppm in your tap tho. Mine has that in it.
And yes that should be enough

Back
Top Bottom