Betta is Sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unknown_7

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, I am sort of worried because my betta is making me a bit concerned because my old betta died from a condition (I forgot what it was called) where his stomach inflates to a really big size, and I just looked at him a while ago and his belly looks a bit big, so I want to know what I should to do make sure that he is alright. He is swimming around and stuff pretty well, it is just that I want to be on the safe, and make sure he will be alright and not that I may have given him a bit too much to eat. Please your suggestions will be very helpful.

Thanks.

if he's pineconeing (scales sticking striaht out) then he's got dropsy and theres a pretty slim chance of him surviving. i lost a lil girl to it today.
dropsycopy3qw.gif

if hes just bloated he could be constpated, stop feeding him and give him a 1/4th of a cooked pea chopped up, i hear that works wonders

Sorry about your betta, Pinky :(

unknown7, if your betta is pineconed like the picture that Pinky attached, you could try an antibiotic, but once they are that swollen the chances are, sadly, pretty slim that they will recover.

But if your betta just looks a little bloated, follow the pea advice - boil a frozen pea (less mushy than canned) in a glass in the microwave. Peel away the skin and throw it away. Cut up the "meat" of the pea into little pieces that are the same size as his regular food and he should eat it.

Feed him the pea today and don't feed anything tomorrow, to give the bloat a chance to go down. It's a good idea to do this every week as a preventative - feed the pea one day and then nothing the next day, and then go back to the regular feeding schedule.

Back
Top Bottom