Betta with Black Spot Or Black Scales - Super Confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltypuppy

Aquarium Advice Freak
1~
I have a giant betta who is PERFECTLY happy and Healthy seeming but he had bizarre black spots on one side of him, they do not really look to be scales, but something else? They are NOT raised at all.

2~

Temp: 80
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate 15ppm
Water Changes - 25% every week

3~ 10 Gallon Tank - Set up for a few years

4~ Two Whipser 10i filters

5~ One giant Betta (2 inches), Corydoras X3 (1inch, 1inch, 1.5 inch)

6~ Gravel Vacuumed and removed 25 % of the water 6 days ago.

7~ All relatively new fish as I had RANDOM horrible death in my tank. 2 Corys - Three weeks? 1 Cory + Giant Betta - 1 week.

8~ Also new Plants WERE added a few days ago, I did clean them.

9~Omega Betta Pellets, Tropical Flake Food, Blood Worms (freeze dried)

So does anybody have any idea if it is actually black spot? Do I need to treat? I have Quick Cure on hand and have heard that works, I already added some salt to the tank and will be doing a water change tonight. Should I separate the betta from the cats?

Hi! I can get pictures, but I am starting to think he may just be getting some dark scales in. He is kinda marbleish.

There actually is a condition called Black Spot, which is a parasite problem. It's often found in gourami's so since betta's are in the same family I would research this condition and look at some pic's to compare with what your seeing on your betta.

There actually is a condition called Black Spot, which is a parasite problem. It's often found in gourami's so since betta's are in the same family I would research this condition and look at some pic's to compare with what your seeing on your betta.

I think his spots are actually too big to be black spot - as I read black spot is usually like sand grain sized.

Back
Top Bottom