Can I Add Fish During Ich Treatment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyWater2525

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all!

My 20gH is currently under Ich treatment as of Tuesday. I am treating it with 87 degree temp. and water changes along with vacuuming. This is working very well for me because only my 2 Platies have a couple spots on their tails as of right now.
One of my Black Skirt Tetras died, leaving his pal behind. His pal is now very stressed because there is none of his own kind.:(
Fortunately, I'm going to the pet store tomorrow and wanted to get 5 more BSTs. Would it be OK to add them during the Ich treatment?
Also, I was thinking of maybe adding a few Ghost Shrimp. Would they be ok to put in while the tank is being treated?
The current stocking is:

1 Molly
6 Harlequin Rasbora
1 Black Skirt Tetra
2 Platies

Please give me your input! Thanks!!!:thanks:

I wouldn't I would wait tell it's over then add them!!! But that's just what I would do!

I'm only a noobie but no point risking the health of the new fish IMO. Treat the ich first. The BST will be ok for a short while until you get the tank healthy. Plus also consider that unless you quarantine you could be introducing a new disease to the tank with the new fish. Ich plus new disease would be bad news.

I thought that if I put them in during treatment, they would be treated for Ich just in case they had it, and it wouldn't be introduced back into the tank because I currently don't have a quarantine tank. I thought it might work,but maybe it won't...??? Thoughts???:ermm:

I thought that if I put them in during treatment, they would be treated for Ich just in case they had it, and it wouldn't be introduced back into the tank because I currently don't have a quarantine tank. I thought it might work,but maybe it won't...??? Thoughts???:ermm:

Maybe it would work but just seems to me it's not worth risking it. If the new fish have some new disease or parasite, then you're introducing that at a time when your fish are already dealing with one issue which I would imagine would not be good. Personally I would not risk it and would just wait a couple weeks until the ich is gone.

Would buying very healthy fish help a little? The Petco I go to has very good employees and keeps their tanks in great shape! I've NEVER received a sick or unhealthy fish from them.
You've probably already figured that I have very little patience, unfortunately.....:nono:

The transfer from the fish store to your tank is a very stressful event. Even a very healthy fish while stressed will be more prone to getting sick, even if there is an ongoing dose of meds. Ich is especially nasty and hard to kill. Adding a vulnerable fish when you know there is illness in your tank is just asking to have more dead fish. I know you're impatient, but trust me, take a breath, wait for all signs of the ich to be gone for at least a week, and THEN you can start repopulating your tank.

Would buying very healthy fish help a little? The Petco I go to has very good employees and keeps their tanks in great shape! I've NEVER received a sick or unhealthy fish from them.
You've probably already figured that I have very little patience, unfortunately.....:nono:

I understand. I am very lacking in the patience dept too. I have 3 fish in QT right now and am desperate to get them in the main tank! I was going to QT for 4 weeks but I think I'll be lucky to hold out for 2 weeks.

So, I hear you and hey it's your call, but I just personally wouldn't. Remember that moving to a new tank is stressful for any fish and stress makes them more prone to disease so I personally think it's asking for trouble.

I would say just try to be patient.....

I would strongly advise against buying new fish while treating for ich. First of all, new fish will be stressed from being moved and that makes them more susceptible to disease. Also your fish are very stressed right now so they are much more likely to catch any diseases new fish could be carrying. Just finish treating your tank and once you're sure the ich parasite is gone from your tank, then buy new fish. Ich is so contagious and agressive, I wouldn't risk exposing new fish unnecessarily. I lost all my fish to Ich a while back and I don't want the same to happen to you :(

Being patient is a key skill in fish keeping - I am impatient and struggle to wait but this hobby is like gardening - all will come to those that wait.
I use my QT tank as a half way hotel where my my new fish can be pampered and observed to test there likes and dislikes as well as health. I currently have rummy nose tetras in the QT and it's great to see them bonding before having to hold their own in the main tank. Enjoy your QT.

Reactions: HN1
Being patient is a key skill in fish keeping - I am impatient and struggle to wait but this hobby is like gardening - all will come to those that wait.
I use my QT tank as a half way hotel where my my new fish can be pampered and observed to test there likes and dislikes as well as health. I currently have rummy nose tetras in the QT and it's great to see them bonding before having to hold their own in the main tank. Enjoy your QT.

How long do you QT? I did three weeks first time. Am thinking 2 this time. I know most people say anything from 2-4 is ok but I assume 4 is better.....

I left home for a few hours, and when I returns and checked on the fish, I could only find 1-2 white spots on only ONE of the Platies now!!!! Yay!!:D:dance:
If they're gone by morning, do you think it would be safe to add some BSTs?
I really think the worst of the Ich is over because it always gets worse before it gets better, and a few days ago was the worst part where they were coated in white spots. That's when I became alarmed and realized they had Ich and I began treatment immediately. Apparently it's working :angel:
At this stage I honestly think adding some BSTs might work, but I'm definitely no expert :ermm:
To sum it all up:

If none of the fish are showing white spots in the morning, would it be safe to add more BSTs that evening but continue with heat and water changes until the end of next week?
Thanks for everyone's replies!!! And sorry if I'm annoying you with all these questions....:oops: I'm still trying to figure some of this fish keeping stuff out.

:thanks:

It's generally considered good practice to continue treating ich for a week after symptoms have disappeared completely.

I know being patient is hard sometimes in this hobby, but I really think that you should heed the advice you've already been given and wait it out just a little longer.

I would strongly suggest you do not add any more fish until you are completely through with treatment. Keep treating for a week or two after you no longer see any symptoms at all.

A quick aside... patience is key in this hobby, and will serve you far better than scratching that itch for instant gratification.

+1 to severem Mama's comment. Keeping fish is not for the impatient. In this hobby, speed kills! Ich is a sign of a problem. Curing the problem, the WHY your fish got sick in the first place, needs to take presidence over adding new fish. Otherwiase, you are just killing more fish.

There's another factor you may not be aware of: The Ich parasite has multiple stages and one of those stages is off the fish and in the gravel bed. By hurrying to put more fish in the tank, you may just be giving the emerging parasites more food in the form of more fish. Slow down, be patient and fix your tank so you won't have to deal with the disease again.

+1 to severem Mama's comment. Keeping fish is not for the impatient. In this hobby, speed kills! Ich is a sign of a problem. Curing the problem, the WHY your fish got sick in the first place, needs to take presidence over adding new fish. Otherwiase, you are just killing more fish.

There's another factor you may not be aware of: The Ich parasite has multiple stages and one of those stages is off the fish and in the gravel bed. By hurrying to put more fish in the tank, you may just be giving the emerging parasites more food in the form of more fish. Slow down, be patient and fix your tank so you won't have to deal with the disease again.

Cannot second this enough! Rule of thumb when treating ANY illnesses, parasites, or random deaths... No adding any new inhabitants of any kind until the tank is stable for 1 week BARE MINIMUM, but ideally wait at least 2 weeks! The worst thing you can do is rush things, as that tends to start the cycle all over again and causing you to waste money, fish lives, and even more time since you now have to start back at square one.

My apologies for upsetting you.:sorry:
I guess I could wait a couple weeks and get the fish then if it makes everyone happy.:invasion:
Thanks for the advice and input! Have a nice day.
-FishyWater2525

My apologies for upsetting you.:sorry:
I guess I could wait a couple weeks and get the fish then if it makes everyone happy.:invasion:
Thanks for the advice and input! Have a nice day.
-FishyWater2525

Sorry, we don't mean to jump on you :oops: ... I know it can be frustrating and hard to wait, but it really is for the best for everyone. We're just trying to help save your money and your fishies health. We see so many people get carried away and running off ahead of themselves that then come back wailing about how their tank crashed that we can get a little overboard trying to wave red flags to slow down the next person to try and save them the same heartache.

Back
Top Bottom