Can I Add Fish During Ich Treatment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh dear!!!! I think I forgot to mention that a couple weeks ago I went on a trip and visited my first PetSmart. They had a sale going on where some of their fish were $1. That's when I excitedly bought the Platies, and I forgot to check for infections/diseases....:nono:
I believe they are the culprit of my Ich problem.:(

As stated earlier when fish are transported and stressed they are more open to disease. With a $1 sale they may have had an extra large shipment with a lot more stressed fish and more bodies to carry disease/parasite. I'm also treating with the heat technique right now. Just gotta beat it and thrive on after that. That's my view.

On an optimistic note. It has been shown in studies that ich stops infecting new fish at 85 degrees F, stops reproducing at 86F, and dies at 89.5F
Using Heat to Treat Ich in Freshwater Tropical Fish - Article at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish

WAIT!!!!
So, if I were to turn the heat up a couple more degrees, the Ich would begin to die off automatically instead of me having to wait through its entire life cycle? :confused:
Of course, I would keep the heat on for a few more days just to be sure.:flowers:

Just remember that's almost 90 degrees. Keep an eye on your little friends and make sure they handle it ok

Just remember that's almost 90 degrees. Keep an eye on your little friends and make sure they handle it ok

90 degrees is REALLY warm for most fish, especially tetras who usually like things on the cool end. Be very careful and watch your fish closely if you do this, as you could end up killing them as well as the ich...

90 really is too high. 86 is more than adequate to treat ich. It speeds up the life cycle so that the protozoans die and then stops them from reproducing. Give it two full weeks at 86 and it should be long gone with much less trauma to your fish, who are probably stressed already.

Yea I have mine at 86 as I have blood fin tetras and some panda garras. I don't feel too comfortable with them going hotter.

Back
Top Bottom