Closty is sick!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amaj51

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My other fishes eyes are like that as well, but I only really care about closty. All of a sudden everything is wrong with my tank. pH is acidic, ammonia is present. My tank is a 55 gallon freshwater tank with live plants. What do I fix first or all of it at once? Help!!

image-1958755749.jpg

I'm sorry to hear about your tank going crazy like that! Is there anything you've done recently that was different, like added anything new or tried a new product?

If you're still unsure about what exactly is going wrong, id start with doing some water changes to get the ammonia down and to flush good, clean water into the system for the fish.

Water change water change water change!

As said have you added, taken away or cleaned anything in the tank recently?
What are your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH now?
It's looks like cloudy eye.
Common Name: Cloudy Eye
Pathogen/Cause: Various organisms (nonspecific), Severe Stress, Malnutrition, Cataracts, Old Age, Hyperproduction of slime due to poisoning, bad water quality, or irritation.
Physical Signs: A cloudy white or grey "haze" over the eyes that may cause blindness.
Behavioral Signs: Associated with loss of vision, also just general signs of lethargy.
Potential Treatment: Investigate if water quality is high first (water changes), then if nutritional needs of that species are being met. Wait at least a week or two before trying any antibiotics, it will often clear on its own if water quality is high.
Other Notes: Frequent water changes a must to improve quality. Test for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates. Cloudy eye is a sign of a number of things, rather than a disease in its own right.
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/fish_palace/tropicalfish_disease_identification.html#ERM

Generally as ammonia levels rise the pH will drop. Fix your ammonia levels (water changes and prime for short-term relief) and then retest the pH of the tank. Ammonia is more toxic at higher pH levels so don't try to mess with the pH until the Ammonia is gone. I can't help with the cloudy eye, but it looks like Mumma's already posted some good info.

Sorry about your tank issues. :( I hope your fish start to feel better soon.

Two weeks ago I had ich and treated with antibiotics. The fish got better then I did a 50% water change and changed the carbon filters about a week ago. Then a few days ago I bought some new live plants and planted them. pH is 6 nitrite 0 nitrate 0 Ammonia tested at the fish store and she said only slightly positive. (I have run out of the ammonia tester) I should have bought more but didn't. Tested my home water and it's pH is 7. Doing a water change.

Oh I also cleaned the filter a week ago.

I bought a test kit and ammonia is zero. Which makes sense because I use amquel. Did a 25% water change and pH still 6.

What product did you use to treat the ich.
At the moment I would recommend a vigorous water change schedule for a few weeks to see if there is any improvement. Usually with just clean water it clears on its own. If it gets worse or hasn't begun to clear in the next few weeks we'll have too look into meds.

Can't remember. It was some tablets and my tank turned blue. I will do daily water changes for the next few days.

image-4226680597.jpg

He is moving around. That is an improvement but part of his top fin is gone.

His fin will grow back no problem. I would do at least 3 water changes a week for 2-3 weeks to see if you can get an improvement. Let us know if it gets worse or he isn't acting right.

Back
Top Bottom