Columnaris!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A website is saying a salt bath would work. Is that safe for angels and effective? Want to double check.

I don't see that being effective at all here. Salt baths are primarily designed to remove exterior parasites and serve a purpose in some case. Columnaris can survive for weeks in the water column without a host - you need to treat the tank.

Okay so it looks like Petco is the only place around here that sells something like that. The item is called Bactershield by Century. I will hopefully be running up there today.

You need something for parasites/bacteria that treats both gram positive and gram negative bacteria. Not fungal medications. Columnaris is a parasite not fungus.
Cottonmouth/fuzzy patches are the biggest indicator of the problem.
You should also use Epsom salt not aquarium salt as Epsoms will help treat the internal parasites causing the white poop and aquarium salt will only work for the external sores which you will already be treating with medication.

The bottle on it says that it treats Columnaris/cottonmouth

I have Epsom salt/aquarium salt/and that medication that I'll be buying today.

tell me what I need to do with all of those things.

Only one salt and the medication

I've done all 3 before, 1tbs/5g of both, never a problem, but it's safer to stick with only one salt.

Fungas Guard is a misnomer since it's really just Furan 2, which does treat columnaris. I would not use epsom salt here since you don't have any bloating. Salt is also optional here since you are using an antibiotic and the high concentration of salt will kill off certain plants. You will still need to change out your water and replace any percentage of drug you have taken out.

Reactions: 5x5
Fungas Guard is a misnomer since it's really just Furan 2, which does treat columnaris. I would not use epsom salt here since you don't have any bloating. Salt is also optional here since you are using an antibiotic and the high concentration of salt will kill off certain plants. You will still need to change out your water and replace any percentage of drug you have taken out.

I have no live plants. So just use aquarium salt with the drug?

Bacteria Shield from Century is NOT an antibiotic. It's exactly the same type of water conditioner like Melafix or Primafix. It uses "natural oils". This will not work for you. You will need the real deal antibiotic to save your fish.

Bacteria Shield from Century is NOT an antibiotic. It's exactly the same type of water conditioner like Melafix or Primafix. It uses "natural oils". This will not work for you. You will need the real deal antibiotic to save your fish.

+1!
You need something like furan2, tetracycline, kanaplex/kanamycin, maracyn plus (not one or two, you need PLUS) or nutrofuracin (which is an active ingredient)

Use Epsoms not AQ

From Mardel?

Yes, the Sentry/Mardel. Again, this is a preventative, and not a cure.

Check it out the description for Sentry bacteria shield:

http://www.petmountain.com/product/...cations/11442-576397/mardel-bactershield.html

You need this fungus Guard by Tetra, found at Petsmart. Petco does not sell fish drugs.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11147154

Bifuran+ from amazon 2 day shipping available
http://www.amazon.com/Hikari-Usa-AH...e=UTF8&qid=1376678887&sr=8-1&keywords=bifuran

Well my LFSs have nothing of what you guys listed. I currently have salt in my tank and the Melafix (I know it won't do anything) what else do I need to do?

The temp is going down.

Well my LFSs have nothing of what you guys listed. I currently have salt in my tank and the Melafix (I know it won't do anything) what else do I need to do?

The temp is going down.

Buy online from Amazon with two day service using the above links. Kensfish.com also sells a variety of antibiotics and you could call and ask for a 2 day service:

Bacterial & Fungal Medications

And do a water change every day 50%.

I'm not allowed to buy from amazon.... :facepalm: my mom is really strict and has had bad experience with it...
This is so bad.... I basically just sent my fish to death....

I'm not allowed to buy from amazon.... :facepalm: my mom is really strict and has had bad experience with it...
This is so bad.... I basically just sent my fish to death....

How about Kensfish.com?

Or Jehmco: Medications
Jehmco will give you a 2 day service

Even Walmart has Tetra products like Fungus Guard. Do you have a Walmart near you? Check out the pet section.

I'm on the phone with Walmart currently. They don't carry it. I am on hold right now to hear all the options I have with them.

Petco had the bacteria one I said before
Pet supply plus had nothing
And Walmart I will know in a minute.

Petsmart has fungus guard by Tetra. But I have no ride. I'm 16 and my driver's test isn't until September. I've called my boyfriend, all my friends. My dad is out of town. I called my mom who was my last hope (she's at work, live with her full time) and she yelled at me saying she's tired of all the problems and expenses that come with fish (I pay for everything except the water bill btw) and she says I have to get rid of them until I move out.

Not that it's gonna happen. Empty threat. But still.. I have NO FREAKING RIDE!!! Anyone in Minnesota that will run it up to me? I'll pay you 15 bucks :p

Back
Top Bottom