Danio's with bloated body.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justinallsop

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've got a five week old tank with Zebra Danios and Leopard Danios in, along with some ruby barbs. We've set it up really carefully, and the water quality seems to have settled well. pH 7.5, NH4 <0.2, NO2 is virtually 0 and very little NO3 either.

Just tonight i've noticed 2 danios, one from each type, have bloated bellies. This looks like dropsy, but they are quite active, eating well, and are freely moving through the water column. I'm not sure. Some sites and books suggest they could be constipated, or pregnant. I hadn't noticed any mating behaviour. The worst (looking) one also has a head down attitude as it swims.

I'm not sure what to try? Any Ideas would be gratefully recieved.

Are their scales sticking out at all? To eliminate the constipation possiblity, feed them frozen peas, blanched and skinned. It sounds as if it may be constipation or swim bladder disease. You could also add 1/8 tsp per gal to the water to try and draw the fluid out. Don't do this if you have any loaches or other sensitive fish or inverts in there.

Welcome to AA!

Zagz said:
You could also add 1/8 tsp per gal to the water to try and draw the fluid out. Don't do this if you have any loaches or other sensitive fish or inverts in there.

You mean 1/8 teaspoon Epsom salt, right? :wink:

The pea method has worked well for me in the past. Break or cut up the pea into pieces that are as big as their normal food and they should accept it. Feed peas for a day or two, and then feed nothing for the next day, to see if the pea can eliminate the constipation and bloating. I haven't had any luck with the Epsom salt but I've tried it a few times, and it's worth trying - it could work for you. Just be careful that you have no fish that are sensitive to salt, like a pleco.

LOL good catch Antiasg! Yes I did mean epsom salt. Wonder how the heck I didn't see that when I re-read my post. :oops:

LOL - I do that too sometimes. It's called "fingers typing faster than brain can think". :wink:

Another thing I thought of if the peas don't help - it could be a swimbladder infection like Zagz suggests. Antibiotics may be helpful, like Maracyn 1 or 2. Or do a series of several small (10%) water changes before you try medicine. Your ammonia and nitrite levels, while not high, are at a level where it still may stress the fish. Ideally ammonia and nitrite are 0.

I would recommend a pwc once a week, of about 20-25 percent (if it is a NON-planted tank). I know goldies can be messy, so a larger pwc may be warranted. Maybe someone with goldies will chime in.

I don't know anything about goldfish. I do remember reading that goldfish can have more swimbladder problems than other types of fish, but I have no personal experience. Do google searches for goldfish swimbladder disease and you'll get lots of hits. Even if I search on swimbladder disease by itself, I get a lot of goldie links in there. Also, you can start a new topic here in the Unhealthy forum titled "Goldfish and Swimbladder Problems" or something like that, to get members' attention who have goldfish.

bigmac1878 said:
how often would you recommend a pwc? i've got a fancy goldie that was a floater. it's the 2nd time he has had swim bladder. do fish ever get over swim bladder or is it terminal?

Sure, they can get over it.

How large is your tank? How large is the goldie? What do you feed it and how often? Can you test your water and post it here? How long have you had it?

In general, swim bladder issues are either caused by stress/shock, poor water quality, or an internal bacterial infection.

Also, by floater, I take it you mean he is having trouble swimming and is not dead.

A main cause for swim bladder problems with goldfish is that they get too much air when they feed. Soak their food and put it in the tank at least half way down the tank so they suck at the water not at the air. This can go a long way in helping to prevent swim bladder problems in goldies.

I have a 10 gallon tank with 6 Zebra Danios, 1 Beta, 1 Striped Raphael Catfish, and two Otos. Three of my 6 Zebras are looking bloated much like the op described.

I will try the peas. Do any of the fish on my list have an aversion to salt that would prevent me from using epsom salt?

I do a 40% PWC once a week (I do have planty of live plants) and my last water test showed no ammonia or nitrites and nitrates at about 8 ppm.

Back
Top Bottom