Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-10-2003, 10:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Discus with hole by eye

I have a new discus (that i am luckily quarentining!) that developed a deep "pinprick" hole just behind his eye.

[when i bought him, i borrowed the tank he was in at the store and brought it home until i can get my new, larger tank set up for him and the two other discus i have. when i got the tank home (i saved 75% of the old water) and set it up, i was shocked to find that it will very dirty (tonnes of uneaten brine shrimp). i have since cleaned it up and brought the parameters to where they should be, as well as offered him a more varied diet.]

anyhow, the holes were at first very deep and "clean." after a day, they grew to be white and almost "pus-y" looking. today, they look like they've healed a little, and resemble pimples.

my question is: do you think this is hole in the head? if so, should i treat for it, or is simply reversing the poor diet and conditions enough?

sorry about the long post, but i would really appreciate any advice!!

Old 09-11-2003, 12:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah, is hole in the head. The 'hole" sometime appear outsidethe head area and discus often get them 1st when the environment or the food is not right.

Old 09-11-2003, 12:49 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
Sounds like HITH to me. This starts out as a small hole, or scrape-like appearance around the head and sometimes even the lateral line. Discus are very prone to this disease, and it will get worse if you don't treat it. I have not personally dealt with this disease, however, I know one medicine is Metronidazole. I don't know if it has a common name or not.

Anyone else know about treatment?

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
lmw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 09:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can find tons of info on Discus @ www.daah.com. It's discussion board just like this one, but strictly for discus keepers.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:27 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Terry Send a message via MSN to Terry
It sounds to me going by the way you discribed the tank that he was in at the lfs, that he was not kept very well.
I am not an expert when it comes to Hole in the Head, but i think keeping the fish in poor conditions and a bad diet can be one of the main reasons cichlids get it. I think i read once that minaral deficiency can cause this, but i think that i read once as well that a paracite is the cause. I can't really remember, but i am sure someone will help you very soon.

Good luck with your task, going by what you have said, you are giving him a better home now and i hope it works out well for you. Just by giving him better water conditions and giving him a varied diet will help him a lot.

Good Luck.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
discus, eye, hole

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com