Fish is missing an eye please help!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abomb

Aquarium Advice Regular
i noticed just b4 as i was watching my fish that one of my neons is missing an eye. THis is quite depressing. I have a school of 6 neons in my 10 gal tank what coudl it be that one is missing an eye. I did see some of my neons scrapping (fighting) the other day do u think poisbly that they were fighting?? please help what should i do??

Adam

WOW!.... Maybe a QT tank with some antibiotic to heal it faster?

How about it long time keepers? Are missing pieces like that surviveable?
I know that big oscars can live for years after having some major pieces nipped off. But never saw an eyeless one.

You'd be amazed at what kinds of injuries fish can survive! abomb....there's not much you can do for your tetra at this point other than keep the tank warm and clean and hope for the best. If the fish survives the injury then it will probably live a normal lifespan....and you can name him after some sort of pirate like Long John Silver or Captain Blood! :)

If you have a QT tank, put eyeless in there. If not, watch over him. Are you sure it occurred since you got him? Is the wound healing? If it's healing, then my guess is he will be fine, but he lost any seniority he had. Three weeks ago, I saw a red zebra cichlid at the LFS with only one eye, when I went back last week it had healed nicely. If it is a fresh wound, watch him closely and somehow separate him from the rest. You can buy a tank separator at your LFS.

looking at it closely it seems to be totaly missing however posibly there is a white disease over it like a scab??? i find this odd. Are there diseases that would match this like ich or something.

Adam

There could easily be a fungus (or something) growing on the eye. My female betta had something like that; however, we had to put her down because we were moving and there was no time or room for sick fish :cry:
Check out this link: http://www.aquatronicsonline.com/hobbyist/hobbyist3.htm
There is a "White Film on Eyes Only" condition. They list meds to take care of the problem. Good luck and keep us updated.

Do you have a QT tank?

My male gourami mangled my females eye. But it was present. I kept the tank waaay clean while she was healing. It looked almost fungusy for a while..I was worried. Then it healedd into a non-eye. It was healthy flesh but didn't swivel or have that special shine. But it made her spook easier and she ended up leaping out of the tank to a slow death in a cup of coke because of the vibrations of nearby explosions.

I thought you meant scooped all the way out and exposing the head cavity to nasties. :oops: 8O

I have a scarlet rainbowfish that lost an eye to the "eye-sucking" ghost knife (had them quarantined together). That was 5 years ago & the one-eyed rainbow is the dominant rainbow in my tank.

Moving this to FW Unhealthy Fish

In the meantime, there are a number of causes of missing eyes. Another fish may have done it. The fish may have a nasty infection which caused severe eye damage. It sounds to me to be cloudy eye, which is usually caused by infection secondary to poor water husbandry. What are your water parameters?

I too had a neon that inexplicably lost an eye. You could see the back of its other eyeball right through its head. No sign of infection -- it lived a normal life for a couple more months before it bit the bucket. I at least had fun making "Arrrrrr" noises and otherwise talking to it like a pirate.

Bwaahahahaha! Heres a few kudos tasty, just cause you made me spit my mouthful of soda onto the keyboard hahahaha.

Back
Top Bottom