Clown pleco missing eyes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

C.w.deegan

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was looking in my cichlid tank last night I have 1 clown pleco in there with my cichlids I noticed both of its eyes are missing and I noticed a few of my cichlids nipping at it is there anything I can do for the fish both its eyes are missing I feel bad I didn't notice this sooner he's been in there for 8 months and never had any issues before now

What sort of cichlids (African Rift Lake or South American)?
The plecos come from soft acid water and should not be kept with Rift Lake cichlids that come from hard water with a high pH. A lot of Rift Lake cichlids will eat smaller fish or take their eyes out.

Small South American cichlids like Apistogramma species should be fine. Large species of cichlid should not be kept with small fish.

Find the fish a new home where it won't be picked on or eaten.

They are african cichlids mbunas and a couple small pecocks the largest fish in the tank is 4.5 maybe 5 inches

OK what could of caused them to suddenly do it? The pleco has been in the tank woth them for 7 months and this just happened any idea what could of made them suddenly want to go after it?

And is there anything I should or could do for the fish? It's missing both its eyes so i know it's completely blind now. Can it still live a healthy life without eye sight?

I did a quick google and see your problem is not unusual. The fish should do fine without eyes.

Last edited:
OK what could of caused them to suddenly do it? The pleco has been in the tank woth them for 7 months and this just happened any idea what could of made them suddenly want to go after it?
Hello, they are cichlids. One day ok & then it's not. I would separate to a qt tank. I know plecos are scaleless fish but they can handle sm dose's of aquarium salt for a few wks w/ no issues.
I would dose 1teaspoon aquarium salt per gallon of quarantine tank. I would do 25% water changes every 3-4 days to keep water pristine. Replacing any salt taken out by changes. I would do this till eye sockets are healed over.
Salt promotes slime coat, gil function, prevents fungus & infection. Hopefully this helps!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom