Fish scared of me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And I have noticed that the Ammonia doesn't fall to 0. That's okay too sometimes. When I was doing a fishless cycle, I had this problem when ammonia won't drop below 0.25 ppm. My TAP WATER, showed 0.25 ppm of Ammonia in it. I guess it was natural.

The thread

Delapool provided me the link to another thread. It's really helpful and I advice people have problems with ammonia read that once.
Your guide to Ammonia toxicity

I was watching a video today and the guy was saying something about putting stuff inside your filter is that something I should look into doing? To be a little more exact in the filter I have, where the water goes in, there is a pit with nothing in it and the water goes through that. I'm wondering if that's how it's soposte to be, or if there is something that is soposte to be put there.

Got the vacuum and i just tried it out 4 the 1st time and it actually works great the pebbles were filthy I put in some prime after testing the water to deal with the ammonia and that works great too I also got 4 more cory cats so they can school up I got 3 different species 2 of each and I also got 2 female red swordfins I have a picture of the "vacuum" And the prime along with the tank down below and with the over crowding I know I saw that if you overcrowd it a little bit the fish won't really establish a hierarchy so that s why I did that when they get bigger I might have to get rid of some of them though also you really can't see the other cory cats cause they are a little scared of me and hide under the ornaments 1518380255768.jpg1518380283416.jpg1518380302210.jpg

I was watching a video today and the guy was saying something about putting stuff inside your filter is that something I should look into doing? To be a little more exact in the filter I have, where the water goes in, there is a pit with nothing in it and the water goes through that. I'm wondering if that's how it's soposte to be, or if there is something that is soposte to be put there.

Depends on how much it impacts flow but you could try adding some cut up sponge (sold in seperate packs at store) or some other media.

Guys I tested my ammonia today and it was up to 2.0 I did a water change and added some prime I think this is from the fish I just put in still 0 nitrite and nitrate gonna keep checking it

Sounds good - yes, will be from fish - keep an eye on ph to maintain around 7 and keep up on water changes. Just takes time to cycle a tank unfortunately - a lfs might donate gravel to add to filter.

Yeah I asked the store for filter media and I couldn't tell if he forgot about me asking or was avoiding the question but I didn't get any

Try for a scope of gravel if they have display tanks perhaps. I found the same. Hard to get filter media (guess they would run out in a week) but easier to get a handful of gravel.

If you have zero nitrate your tank isn't cycled you will get ammonia first, ammonia will lower and you will get nitrite then nitrite will lower and you will get nitrate, you shouldn't do a fish in cycle with that many fish, are you doing the test on nitrate right by shaking bottle #2 vigorously for 30 seconds before adding the drops, also on the 1 min shake you don't have to go wild shaking it, a little hard but not hard enough where you're slinging water out of the tube, or get the tightest fitting cap you have.

It can take 2-6 weeks for a task to cycle, the process is slower with fish in as you're constantly changing water.

Feed lightly as well meaning don't over feed.

What filtration are you running on the tank?
Did you add the store water into the aquarium when adding new fish as you should never do this?

Do not touch the filters while you're cycling a tank as that's what the beneficial bacteria is growing on which helps complete the cycle.

You can buy biologically established sponges on http://www.angelsplus.com/FiltersSpongeActive.htm

Your lfs might give you a bag of cycled substrate or media from one of their tanks.

I would go out and buy a bottle of stability which is live bacteria in a bottle, I would also modify the filter with media if it doesn't already have it I would increase the temp slowly up to 80 as bacteria grows faster at warmer temperatures, your fish will be fine at 80°, if you have an airstone turn it up on high.

Again don't touch the filters while you're in the process of cycling, just do daily water changes treated with prime, also know this you're still going to get ammonia readings with prime but it's actually ammonium (less toxic) that prime turns ammonia into.

Ok for the past couple of days I have been changing the water multiple times I added the right dose of prime with the right does of all the right chemicals but the ammonia is still steadily around .25 to 1 every time I test it no matter how much water I change it still stays there I have been trying to add little food and the fish are acting fine but it's killing me knowing that the ammonia is still high what should I do1519155632664.jpg

The prime won't change the ammonia reading just detoxifies the ammonia in to a less toxic ammo type for up to 48 hours. You will still need to change the water daily especially since you continue to add fish. Over crowding doesn't help in a tank that is cycling less is more with a fish in cycle as you have been told countless times at this point. Please no more fish until your tank is cycled.

He is not Cycled this fast, avd liquid test kit is the best way to go, api master freshwater water test kit, if the op had one of them be wouldn't be going through strip kits.

I did this the first time I ever got fish and I didn't know what I was getting into. I dumped 15 fish in my tank uncycled. Not only did I get bacteria bloom after one day I got ich by day 3 on all my fish. I was taking advice like crazy and Here's what I did.....

Because of the ich I had the temp cranked up to 86 degrees and was adding salt which luckily you don't have to deal with. I was doing 40-50% water changes twice a day and about 6-9 hours between water changes with time permitting. I tested the water daily and sometimes twice a day. Once before my first water change and once a few hours after my last water change. I was never able to accomplish 0ppm ammonia. I was consistently between .25 and .50ppm. admittedly I was more focused on the ich at the time and I was able to clear the ich up and cycle my tank in three weeks with no fish loss. Keep in mind I knew very little back then but I feel I got solid advice for my situation at the time and it worked out. This may not be your situation but I believe your water changes will need to be similar to what I just explained.

I was also filtering my tank with 2 HOB's. One was a 50g and the second was a 40g. I added the 40g once I was scrambling to fix the problems. I had a 29g tank. I also had airstones cranked up. I'm not sure what all contributed to the tank cycling fairly quick at 3 weeks since I have never been able to duplicate that again. I also don't do fish in cycles anymore.

At this point plenty was said about cycling and water testing.

To mix it up a bit I will bring this to topic of fish behavior. Different personalities with fish are definitely a thing. Pair of golden Angelfish juvies in my 55g. are stupidly skittish. Been over a week now and they still can't relax and eat normally. Every evening I have to be there with a dropper feeding them frozen bloodworms otherwise tetras devour everything before these two decide to peak from under the DW... And in their free time they nibble on roots and damaged parts of plants covered in staghorn algea. What a strange buggers.

On the other hand all the mix-n-match angels in 125 are there at the surface with mouths wide open as soon as if not before I'm opening a lid.

I've been managing to keep the ammonia between .25 and 1 and I've been doing 2 water changes a day I think where I messed up was when I had one of my catfish go missing a couple weeks ago I drained like 80% of the water another interesting thing is that one of the test strips I dropped in between the cover and the side and the nitrates we 're at 60 so I don't know what that's riposte to mean fish seem happy all moving a lot and the water is moving a lot too so I guess it's just a waiting game now1519329189080.jpg1519329424186.jpg

Tank looking good. You can try more of the bacterial starter bottles - mostly is a waiting game as you say.

Apart from some stress on fish, large water changes are fine. I used to do almost 100% in the betta tank but he sat in a spare container while water heated back up

Back
Top Bottom