Goldfish with ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ripvanrina

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is salt harmful to fancy goldfish? I know they can't take high temperatures and salt sounds like the best method.
My friend got 3 goldfish on her birthday from another impulsive friend and now she's complaining of white spots on her fish, so I think i need to interfere and try and save her fishies.

I split this from Brian's sticky so you would get some detailed attention. I can never remember the rules when it comes to goldfish and ich.

I've never known goldfish to be sensative to salt. You can increase the tank's temperature some, but I wouldn't go too high. Personally, I've never had to deal with ich in a goldfish tank, but I did use salt for something once with goldies with no adverse effects.

Goldfish can handle salt treatment - some people even keep their GF in a little salt all the time as a preventative. They can also handle high temps as well as most any other fish, and without raising the temp it will take quite a while to actually get rid of the ich.

ooh i didn't know that they could handle high temps
I'll have to run her my aquarium salt right away then, and see if she got a heater in her frantic fish purchases
thanks so much!

Ad 1 tblsp per gallon and increase temp to at least 80. Goldfish are very salt and heat tolerant all the way up to 9% (but I wouldn't recommend that high of a concentration) and can withstand temps of 100F as long as adequate water agitation is oxygenating the water.
Slowly increase the salt level over a 36 hour period and leave it at that for 1-2 weeks. When you do a water change just measure how much you take out, so you can replace the salt. Be sure to increase the surface agitation as well. This is a surefire way to get rid of ich. Good luck!

One other thing - this sounds like a cycling tank - what with the impulsive purchase, etc. Ich prob reared its ugly head becaused the fish are stressed from poor water parameters. Make sure to check the water for NH3 & NO2 and keep those levels under check with pwc's.

Back
Top Bottom