Having some nitrate problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes and yes. Tap is testing 0 everything.
I think my problem might be my timing of waiting to read the results. The longer time goes the darker it gets so maybe my walking away for five minutes is more like eight or something. Plus the lighting in my house isn't superb so who knows. I tried in the kitchen, living room, under the clamp lights.
I'll keep testing every day or other day this week and hopefully get some kind of consistent reading.
Ps I PMd you re: plants

Yes and yes. Tap is testing 0 everything.
I think my problem might be my timing of waiting to read the results. The longer time goes the darker it gets so maybe my walking away for five minutes is more like eight or something. Plus the lighting in my house isn't superb so who knows. I tried in the kitchen, living room, under the clamp lights.
I'll keep testing every day or other day this week and hopefully get some kind of consistent reading.
Ps I PMd you re: plants

Be consistent with the timing and where you read the results. I use the timer/stopwatch on my phone. I test in the bathroom because the lighting is good in that room. I usually test phosphates at the same time (read time is staggered about a minute apart).
Nitrate levels are hard to read period.
I know, did not reply back. They should arrive Wednesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have another theory - possible smoke contamination? There are nitrates in tobacco so I wonder if Tobacco specific nitrosamines are present in sufficient amounts to contaminate the test via the air contained in the tube and affect test results. No one has been smoking during test times but it is permitted in the house during cold weather and could be present in the air.
Any thoughts?

I don't know about the smoke contamination. You may want to try taking a water sample to your lfs and have them test it. Some use liquid tests. Petco usually uses the strips. Keep doing the pwcs. You'll beat those nitrates! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have another theory - possible smoke contamination? There are nitrates in tobacco so I wonder if Tobacco specific nitrosamines are present in sufficient amounts to contaminate the test via the air contained in the tube and affect test results. No one has been smoking during test times but it is permitted in the house during cold weather and could be present in the air.
Any thoughts?

I doubt it would be enough or there would be a lot more threads like this.

Haha Mike...I'm just grasping at straws since nothing logically is making much sense. I guess it must be a user error :)

Back
Top Bottom