Help my Betta!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheSmallFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was cleaning his tank and I forgot his chemicals before I put him in the tank. I rushed the chemicals in the tank. Will he be Okey?

No but the chlorine is harm full to the fish. So I am worried he is still affected by the chlorine.

Ya im sure he will be.

When people refill their tanks with Python water change equipment they have to then add the dechlorinator after wards and its ok.

Ya im sure he will be.

When people refill their tanks with Python water change equipment they have to then add the dechlorinator after wards and its ok.
No, they add dechlorinator *before* adding water. I usually give the Prime a few minutes to disperse.

You (and Potluck) have been really down on the python all over the site recently. It's fine to have your preferences, but 1. figure out how it actually works, because you can do water changes safely with it; and 2. there's no need to bash it when nobody even brought it up.

The python has literally cut hours off of my water change time without costing me autonomy, which is a *huge* deal for a person with a disability.

Dislike it all you want. Discuss its *actual* shortcomings if you must. Stop bringing it up out of nowhere criticizing how it wouldn't work if you use it wrong.

No, they add dechlorinator *before* adding water. I usually give the Prime a few minutes to disperse.

You (and Potluck) have been really down on the python all over the site recently. It's fine to have your preferences, but 1. figure out how it actually works, because you can do water changes safely with it; and 2. there's no need to bash it when nobody even brought it up.

The python has literally cut hours off of my water change time without costing me autonomy, which is a *huge* deal for a person with a disability.

Dislike it all you want. Discuss its *actual* shortcomings if you must. Stop bringing it up out of nowhere criticizing how it wouldn't work if you use it wrong.
I use Python and i enjoy the product, but theres no way to add declorinator when yer refilling the tank from the tap unless you do so by dripping it into the stream at the same time, or just add it into the tank afterwards.
My only real issue is that cleaning the tubing can be difficult if its not rinsed out regularly, as stale water in side can cause slime.
I think this is the first time ive actually ever mentioned the product.

That being said, i do prefer the old bucket method because you can add the declorinator to the water and let it do its thing before replacing it into the tank.

I use Python and i enjoy the product, but theres no way to add declorinator when yer refilling the tank from the tap unless you do so by dripping it into the stream at the same time, or just add it into the tank afterwards.
My only real issue is that cleaning the tubing can be difficult if its not rinsed out regularly, as stale water in side can cause slime.
I think this is the first time ive actually ever mentioned the product.

That being said, i do prefer the old bucket method because you can add the declorinator to the water and let it do its thing before replacing it into the tank.
Well, I apologize. I misread your post as snarky. I should not have done that.

What I do with the Prime is add it immediately after emptying, including putting a bit of water in a 1 gallon bucket to rinse the filter media. I let the Prime disperse while I clean the filter media, and then I refill. I try to aim the water where I put the Prime.

Again, I apologize.

No worries, and if youve found a way to have declorinator activaed before refilling than id love to know how you do it, its actually the only reason i dont use my python more regularly.

Just so i got yer method straight... you add the prime to the remaining tank water before switching the flow and refilling the aquarium?

No worries, and if youve found a way to have declorinator activaed before refilling than id love to know how you do it, its actually the only reason i dont use my python more regularly.

Just so i got yer method straight... you add the prime to the remaining tank water before switching the flow and refilling the aquarium?

Yes, but I actually turn the water off for a bit while I take care of the filter.

No you don't, that's a huge amount of prime to the fish in a low water volume most people add it slowly throughout the filling process

EDIT: yes you start adding the prime when you start filling but here's what I meant by to much, say you have a 55 gallon and you do 50% of the water, 5.5 ml of prime in that low of water is very strong and can severely affect your fish if they come in contact with that area where the prime was added, I would do 1/4's or 1/3rd so it's not all in the tank at once

Also you shouldn't clean filter media in anything other than tank water, you can clean the sponges in treated water but you just lightly swish the media to get the big particles off, you dont want to thoroughly clean the media you will wash off your beneficial bacteria.

I have nothing against pythons as a lot of people use them so when you say I bashed them that's incorrect, I just prefer my bucket method, that doesn't mean they are bad that just means they have to be researched very thoroughly before people use them as the process is totally different than manual.

The Betta should be okay I know people who put it in after but I don't I treat every bucket before adding it to the tank so a 5 gallon bucket I add 0.6 ml of prime as I go over a little bit on the treatment recommendation.

No you don't, that's a huge amount of prime to the fish in a low water volume most people add it slowly throughout the filling process

Okay. For example, I removed 10 gallons from my 29 gallon today. About a half of one of those gallons was a little white bucket I use to shake and squeeze filter media. Ordinarily, I would add 3ml of Prime before refilling. That's one third again the proper concentration. You can safely dose up to five times the recommended concentration.

EDIT: yes you start adding the prime when you start filling but here's what I meant by to much, say you have a 55 gallon and you do 50% of the water, 5.5 ml of prime in that low of water is very strong and can severely affect your fish if they come in contact with that area where the prime was added,

5.5ml in 27.5 gallons of water is still less than five times the recommended dose.

Back
Top Bottom