help please--which is which?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fearlessfisch

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My Maracyn and Maracyn-II tablets got separated from their boxes and I don't know which is which! One is larger white tabs, and the other is smaller yellow. Can someone help me?

Also, am I right that Maracyn can be used without harm to the biological filter, but if you add Maracyn-Two the beneficial bacteria will die? Is the combination the problem, or will Maracyn-Two kill the bacteria all by itself?

Thanks for any help you can give.

The white are maracyn, the yellow are maracyn II. Maracyn II is minocycline, a tetracycline derivative. Mardel claims that they are both safe for beneficial bacteria.

I did use both google and yahoo image searches and got millions of pictures....all of the outside of the box. i was hoping someone here knew.

The package directions say that the products can be used concurrently. In another place, they say that they will not cause harm to the biological filter when used as directed. However, I have been reading message threads here at AA for about an hour, and read in several places that using them together does actually harm the filter. I was hoping that someone could explain further.

It's been a few years since I used either one. I would tentatively guess that the smaller, white one is Maracyn 2 since that's the one I used the most, and I think I only used Maracyn 1 once. I don't really remember a larger, yellow tablet. If you turn over the foil packet, does it have anything stamped on the back?

I do remember that when I used the Maracyn 2 that I got a small ammonia spike of .25 ppm. After doing a water change and using carbon to remove the med, the ammonia went back to 0 in a day or two. Just be aware that the ammonia could spike, and be prepared to do a few extra water changes. My tank didn't spike that high and hopefully, in your tank, it won't either.

hi, An t-iasg

i have been using both meds and things seem to be going well. no casualties, and the fish do seem better. no ammonia spike yet, but i'll keep monitoring closely given what you said.

thanks again very much for the help.

Just an update. I was asking about antibiotics because my neons were falling ill. No other fish seemed affected, and these are neons that have been in the tank, healthy, for many months.

I did medicate with both meds, using slightly under the recommended dosages (just because i've had problems with full doses before). I had a small ammonia spike just as An t-iasg predicted. After water changes and new carbon in one of three filter boxes, the biological filter is working great again-- no ammonia whatsoever on tests.

The fish are all acting happy and healthy now, although I think some neons are permanently disfigured from the illness. Two have what I think is permanent lockjaw, and one has a crooked spine and still looks a little scrawny. He is eating well now, though.

Thanks everyone for your help. I am relieved there were no deaths at all, and the disease spread has been halted.

Back
Top Bottom