HELP! Sick Pearlscale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thommo202

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I am new to this forum but really need help with my Pearlscale gold fish, Roger. He is about 2-3 months old (from the aquarium). He lives in a 20L tank with a black Moore which is perfectly fine. Lately I have noticed he has been disinterested in food, he is also quite bloated. When I started to realise I took to google and thought he may be constipated so I gave him some tinned pease. However, he hasn't really touched them. I've separated him in his own tank to see if he eats or not, and I've noticed the tiniest little poo floating. Tonight however, he seems to be lying on the bottom sideways, and at once almost upside down, like its a struggle for him to swim. Then he just turns up and sits on the bottom like usual. He seems to have some red colouring on his scales, I thought this may have been a rash from the gravel in the bottom of his tank as he can't seem to swim properly? Any help would be much appreciated ASAP!!!

Thanks guys!

Hi Thommo welcome to AA :D

sorry to hear about your sick fish :(
what are the water parameters ?
ammonia?, Nitrite? Nitrates? and PH ?
and how often are you doing water changes on the tank and how much each time ?
goldfish are messy fish and the water gets gunked up super fast

Thanks!
I'm not too sure unfortunately, this is the first time I have had fish :( I have done a water change once or twice since having them, their tanks looks very clean to me. I know it's not much info, I need help as I don't want them to die :(

Thanks!
I'm not too sure unfortunately, this is the first time I have had fish :( I have done a water change once or twice since having them, their tanks looks very clean to me. I know it's not much info, I need help as I don't want them to die :(

Hi

If he is constipated, a few days without food may help. However, the red spots may indicate another problem. Would you be able to post a photo, please?

Please get the API Master Test kit - it is a liquid test system that will tell us how healthy your water is.

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

are you using water conditioner when you do water changes ? or just straight tap water ?

i would suggest getting the API test kit at your local pet store also gold fish need larger tanks at least 25 gallons becasue they can get really large and because they produce a ton of waste

does your sick fish's gills seem red? is he breathing faster than normal? any air gulping at the surface ?

are you using water conditioner when you do water changes ? or just straight tap water ?

i would suggest getting the API test kit at your local pet store also gold fish need larger tanks at least 25 gallons becasue they can get really large and because they produce a ton of waste

does your sick fish's gills seem red? is he breathing faster than normal? any air gulping at the surface ?

Yes I am putting a water conditioner in that the local aquarium suggested when I purchased the fish. The gills aren't red, if anything they may be a little darker than normal. I have noticed that he is breathing a little faster than normal, but not so much surface gulping as it looks like he struggles to get to the surface. He keeps lying on the bottom on his side :/

I will post a photo up tomorrow for you guys, just at my parents house

ok Thommo

it could be dropsy here's a link with info:Goldfish Disease and Goldfish Disease Diagnosis
or swim bladder disease :Goldfish Disease and Goldfish Disease Diagnosis
just make sure to change at least 30 % of the tank water once a week or more please post the picture tomorrow it will help with figuring out what is wrong with him

From what I've just read on those two pages, his symptoms seem more like Swim bladder disorder. At the moment I have him in his own little tank with some squashed up peas to see how he goes, I will get the test kit tomorrow to test the water quality. Hopefully we are able to make him better :)

Hi Thommo! Welcome to AA!! Ok, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but 20l is only a 5g tank. These two guys need a minimum of a 30-40g (120-150l) tank. Pearls are very delicate fish and are difficult to keep even in perfect conditions. The symptoms you are describing are classic symptoms of ammonia and/or nitrite poisoning in a goldfish. There isnt a cure for this but providing LOTS of healthy water may aid in possible recovery.

Get yourself a liquid test kit asap and bottle of Prime or Amquel Plus and start changing 50% of the water until you are able to bring the ammonia/nitrite well under .25ppm. Make SURE you temperature match and properly condition all new water. This may mean mutliple water changes. You will need to do this daily. Unfortunately, you will need to decide if a big tank upgrade is possible- if its not, I honestly would return these guys and stock your tank with a more appropriate fish such as a single betta.

Heres more info on goldfish and their care- please ask if you have any questions!!!

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

Back
Top Bottom