Help, something is wrong with my betta!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pufferlovalot

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
He's my favourite fish ever. I have had lots of fish. Pretty basic fish but more than bettas. But this betta is my favourite of all the fish. He always begs and greets me at the top of the tank. He would even eat from my hand. He never minded if my finger was in the tank or not. Whether I was putting weird objects in his tank. He would always greet means beg for more food.

He is in a fully cycled, all to himself, 5 gallon. Plants and decor to play in. I even float ping pong balls in the tank and he will push them around, or at least try. He is full of life. Though I have only had him for 1 1/2 weeks I am very attached. He, I call him favourite but his real name is Quito, is so full of life and happiness.

My problem is he just got really stressed. I tried to do a water change. I took him out of the tank to clean. Then I simply filled the tank up. Made sure the perimeters were okay. Added seachem prime. Waited 5 min then put Quito back in the tank. He seamed really scared . He immediately swam and hid in the back of the tank.

Like 2 hours ago I tried feeding him. He didn't happily greet me. He kept his distance and I dropped a pellet in the tank. At first he swam to it shyly then ate it but spit it back out. I tried this with two other pellets but same thing. What should I do. In don't want him to die. PLEASE HELP. I really need it!!!

:thanks:

He's my favourite fish ever. I have had lots of fish. Pretty basic fish but more than bettas. But this betta is my favourite of all the fish. He always begs and greets me at the top of the tank. He would even eat from my hand. He never minded if my finger was in the tank or not. Whether I was putting weird objects in his tank. He would always greet means beg for more food.

He is in a fully cycled, all to himself, 5 gallon. Plants and decor to play in. I even float ping pong balls in the tank and he will push them around, or at least try. He is full of life. Though I have only had him for 1 1/2 weeks I am very attached. He, I call him favourite but his real name is Quito, is so full of life and happiness.

My problem is he just got really stressed. I tried to do a water change. I took him out of the tank to clean. Then I simply filled the tank up. Made sure the perimeters were okay. Added seachem prime. Waited 5 min then put Quito back in the tank. He seamed really scared . He immediately swam and hid in the back of the tank.

Like 2 hours ago I tried feeding him. He didn't happily greet me. He kept his distance and I dropped a pellet in the tank. At first he swam to it shyly then ate it but spit it back out. I tried this with two other pellets but same thing. What should I do. In don't want him to die. PLEASE HELP. I really need it!!!

:thanks:

Check your water parameters using a test kit. Also, add more dechlorinator in your tank so that it's double the amount required for your tank. Your water may have alot of chlorine/chloramine in it becuase the city flushes out their system once in a while. This just happened to someone I know today and half his fish died.

Can I ask why you took him out of the tank?

He should be fine of you are doing only 50% changes, you would not need to remove him for this and cause him extra stress.

Did you make sure that the water you placed in the tank was the same temperature as the old tank water? That could add to stress as well.

I would recommend turning his lights out and letting him be for the night. Then try feeding frozen or live blood worms at his next feeding.

Good luck!

Can I ask why you took him out of the tank?

He should be fine of you are doing only 50% changes, you would not need to remove him for this and cause him extra stress.

Did you make sure that the water you placed in the tank was the same temperature as the old tank water? That could add to stress as well.

I would recommend turning his lights out and letting him be for the night. Then try feeding frozen or live blood worms at his next feeding.

Good luck!

Thank you. And I took him out of the tank because I need to turn the heater so It will get a bit cooler. And yes I made sure all the perimeters matched before adding the water.

I do feed him frozen bloodworms every other day and he loves them. Today he was eating again but not much. I fed him 3 pellets. He ate one, still not eating from my hand, but the other two he tried to eat but kept spitting them out. He did this for quite awhile with just those same two pellets.

I wouldn't worry too much as long as he looks alright. Just keep him in a quiet place and give him a bit of time. Chances are he is still adjusting if you've only had him a week and a half.

Keep an eye on his earig habits. Some bettas go through picky periods. Mine currently is rejecting pellets though he's always eaten them. When they get hungry enough they'll eat. :)

Is he on his side, tummy a bit enlarged? If so he is constipated. This is something you can help him with. I nursed mine back to health, he is fine and back in my community tank. Let me know, I'll give details on 2 methods that will work.

He doestnt seem constipated just scared. Which I was disappointed about but I think he is okay. He seems to hide In his castle more often. And last feeding I got scared because he didn't greet me for food. I found him in his castle. When he saw me he got out grabbed one pellet and went back down.

He still won't really eat. He stays at the bottom of the tank. What should I do

He isn't eating the pellets? Or the bloodworms either? What are your water parameters? Temp? Last water change?

Change the tank water 50% every day, if there are no other symptoms other than he is sitting at the bottom of of tank. Give the substrate a very good vacuum.

Okay I will try. He will go up to the top for air every once in awhile. I have read this is because of ammonia or high nitrates but I checked the parameters. Ammonia-0ppm Nitrate-5-10ppm

Yes, definitely up your water changes. Remove any uneaten food after feeding as well.

Are you using a liquid test kit?

I also wouldn't feed him for a few days, in case it is constipation. My Betta wanted to eat even though he was on his side, creeped me out. You could however give all the fishies frozen daphnia. I have a 20 gal and once a week I defrost half a cube in some tank water in a cup, then pour it in for all to enjoy. They love it and it's good for them.

If you use Prime you cannot use an API test kit or strips, it won't be accurate. You need to get Seachem test kits. I got the Amonia and Nitrite/Nitrate kits online. They will even help you if you call them with a question on the procedure.

Thank you for all the replys. I have a liquid test kit but its API. I feed my betta frozen bloodworms occasionally. I stopped recently because he wouldn't eat the pellets. Should I start again? I aslo have frozen Krill and brine shrimp. Are these good for them.

Also my nitrites are at 0 my nitrates are at like 7ppm. This is the stuff plants eat and stuff that u can't get rid if. At least I'm pretty sure.

Thank you for all the replys. I have a liquid test kit but its API. I feed my betta frozen bloodworms occasionally. I stopped recently because he wouldn't eat the pellets. Should I start again? I aslo have frozen Krill and brine shrimp. Are these good for them.

You can feed brine shrimp since it's smaller and will help his digestion. Krill might be too big unless you cut.

Don't overfeed any food. The quantity should be the size of his eye. Yup, that small. You can feed this amount 2x day. I feed my betta this amount 1x a day.

You might have better luck getting him to eat the frozen foods. My betta would accept bloodworms or brine shrimp over pellets any day.

Back
Top Bottom