Help with baby discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LostInFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 1 baby that I raised from an egg he is about the size of a half dollar 1 1/2" he was doing great now he hides and I don't see him eating he looks healthy but obviously not. I noticed white poop maybe worms or something. I have been treating the water with metronidazole also trying to feed metro but no luck. Please help this is my 1 and only egg raised discus.. All water perimeters are 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 5.0 nitrate I do 3 35% W/C each week. I have a 150 gallon tank with 30 gallon sump and also run 2 fluval 405 canisters. I have Spent about 75$ on metro and don't really want to spend More but I will if it works to save my lil guy. Any advise will be appreciated. Oh and the temp is a out 85* thanks everyone for lookinghttp://youtu.be/zucYyYqu1ms

Attachments

• image-1444272061.jpg
    image-1444272061.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 84
  • image-3239171911.jpg
    image-3239171911.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 84
  • image-233880950.jpg
    image-233880950.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 88
  • image-1372886346.jpg
    image-1372886346.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 81
Is the fish eating as that will determine treatment? If so what are you feeding? White feces is mucus lining of the digestive track due to form of irritation, this can be diet, stress, or internal parasites.

No he isn't eating that I see. I was feeding a variety of flake food and sometimes frozen brine shrimp/blood worms. He was doing great then I noticed him hiding more then usual he doesn't hang with the others. Not sure what's wrong he looks great no signs besides not eating and not playing with the others(discus)

Well there are only two options from here, either euthanize the fish as this won't get any better without intervention and he will wither and die.

The next treatment will be stressful for you and the fish. This starts with a 3% Epsom salt distilled water solution force fed into the fishes digestive track through a soft tipped pipette. This should be done twice daily and be careful not to jam the tip into the fishes esophagus which can cause damage. You want to squirt the solution directly into the track.

Aside from the white feces there is no other sign of sickness? How long has it been since the fish stopped eating?
If it has only been a couple days, I would wait before doing anything stressful unless you are sure of the sickness.
Have you tried tempting the fish to eat by providing live food? like california blackworms?

Aside from the white feces there is no other sign of sickness? How long has it been since the fish stopped eating?
If it has only been a couple days, I would wait before doing anything stressful unless you are sure of the sickness.
Have you tried tempting the fish to eat by providing live food? like california blackworms?

I have had discus for a year now and this one suddenly started to hide 24/7 and not eating at all like he use to I'm sure he's sick. I have tried garlic guard and live black worms and no interest in anything.

Epsom salt and RO water work ?

No force feed the salts with distilled water. Force feed this for 7-10 days until the fish accepts food then switch to the same solution soaked in pellets.

I and most discus breeders don't recommend blood worms due to hard to digest exoskeleton of the worm, which is hard to digest which can lead to problems. Even Jack Wattley has given up on those.

No force feed the salts with distilled water. Force feed this for 7-10 days until the fish accepts food then switch to the same solution soaked in pellets.

I and most discus breeders don't recommend blood worms due to hard to digest exoskeleton of the worm, which is hard to digest which can lead to problems. Even Jack Wattley has given up on those.

Really, ok I will try to do this 2 times a day for a week. And as far as bloodworms go I only feed them once a week

I have been doing this treatment and so far no change in my discus. He is looking thin as he's not eating.

If your sure the solution is getting into the digestive track then after 7-10 days with no improvement I'd start thinking about euthanizing the fish. I've never had that method fail even after the fish was refusing food for weeks.

Thanks alot for all your help I'm going to give him a few more days and if he's not better then I will end it.

Back
Top Bottom