Ick spots - flat vs raised?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PlatyLady

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wondering, can ick just be a white spot - not raised like a grain of salt/sugar? I *think* I see a tiny spot on one platy. It's not raised at all. It can only be seen from certain angles, depending on how he's bending his tail. I thought I saw this on a guppy before, but it was only there for a day, and my boyfriend convinced me I was seeing things. (I half think I AM seeing things!)

Platylady, my mollies had ich awhile back, and it did start out as more flat spots, just a few. I thought it was a discoloration on their tails and lips. Within days there were more but by this time, they were raised, like salt/sugar got sprinkled on.

Hopefully you are just seeing things, but keep an eye out...better safe (and cross-eyed!) than sorry :)

PhilMar, I've seen ich spelled ich or ick, any way you spell it, it's still icky!

When I got my latest goldie, there was one tiny flat spot on the dorsal fin, which the lfs gal said was just a discoloration, not to worry. Well, it turned out to be ich, with the spot multiplying & being raised grains a few days later.

So now I am also getting paranoid & seeing ich everywhere... :)

Here an ich--
There an ich--
Everywhere and ich ich... :p

I can sympathsize! I'll walk by my tank and see a white spot and just plaster my face to the side and talk to my fish "Does it itch? Is it ich?" I'll follow the fish around the tank until I figure out that its usually just an airbubble!

Back
Top Bottom