Injured/Infected Neon Tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kierancassel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Yesterday I got 6 Neon Tetras from the fish shop. When taken out from the tank the guy checked them thoroughly and they looked completely perfect. The tank was doing its fishless cycle for 8 days before. Nitrite levels seemed to be elevated but apparently not enough to be bad. Also 4 plants where added to the tank and gravel just before adding the tetras. They where floated ontop to get the same temp and then let out. They seemed to school as they are supposed to. The next day i fed them (this morning) on 2 crushed flakes of TetraMin. Interpet Filter Start has also been used. This evening I have noticed they have schooled less and seem more spread out. They always seem to be near the bottom of the tank. 5 of them schooled in 1 corner while 1 was far away. The 1 far away seems to maybe have red under and abit around gills. Also seem to move its fins all the time. I think the belly bottom bit of the fish could be slightly more seethrough. The fins look fine. They still seemed to chase each other as if still happy. Tank is 26C. Tank is 110L, 24 gallons. Need help quick dont want these fish to die! :(

I`m not a FW expert. I think your best bet would be to post your water test results. I know in SW elevated amounts of nitrites is not a good thing. Just make sure of pristine water conditions till someone with more knowledge of FW fish can get on here.

Tetras do school. Fish that school do so because it makes them seem as if they're one great big fish instead of a bunch of little ones. So one of the reasons they school is when they feel threatened. Sometimes when they are comfortable they may separate for a while then school again. They're social fish.

However, IMO and I'm sure many would agree, if you cycled your tank for only 8 days, then you added your fish way to early.

Neons are notoriously weak fish... I wouldn't be surprised if you lose a couple.

Check your parameters at least daily and do a PWC if your ammonia or nitrite levels are above .25ppm. .8ppm is too high.

Next time, you'll want to do a drip acclimation; just floating them only equalizes temperature, not pH or other parameters. There's an article about acclimation here on the site that's worth reading.

Good luck!

is drip acclimation adding some of the tank water into the bag slowly? i did that, more every 5 mins. ammonio is 0.

one of the neons seems to have more damage around the gills than the other, is this infection? or physical damage from bumping into something in the tank or something.? Is it normal that neons move frequently?

One of the neons seems to have dissapeared.... also, is it normal for neons to drift at night when I think they are sleeping?

When I had a FW tank years ago I found that neon tetras were extremely difficult fish to keep. They had about a 30% survival rate. My girlfriend and I would buy them when the lfs had a penny sale (buy 1, get 1 for a penny). Even with 10% or more weekly PWC's in a cycled tank we would lose some in the first few days.

I also don't think your tank is completely cycled if you still have any detectable nitrite, but I too will let the more knowledgeable FW folks chime in.

the 6th neon tetra is still missing, the tank is covered so it couldnt of jumped out, ive looked everywhere but I cant find it!

well its presumed dead, did a water change 20% yesterday and they seemed much better. Should i do daily changes for a while?

I would do pwc's every day for a while.
What kind of test are you using?
I lost one new fish about 2 weeks ago, and I have done 2 gravel vacs since then, and I can't find it anywhere. I think my snails ate it. Anyway, make sure you move the plants/decor and check inside the filter for that fish, since the rotting ones will cause ammonia.

its a 24 gallon so 20% every day? the tank is about 11 days old added fish on 8th day so will bacteria be alright most people say fine but just a thousandth opinion :) I have live plants and am thinking about this lighting routine, 8am to 1pm on, 1pm to 5pm off, 5pm to 10pm on then off for the night. Is this alright?

now a few of them have white spots on their fins, not on body... yet, could this be ick? from what ive read on the internet the whitespots are on the body not fins... maybe something else? still the red gills. Ive turned the temp up to 28C as precaution, apparently heat prevents them spreading. thinking about using salt.

You don't need a complicated lighting schedule. 10-12 hours a day is fine. On in the am then off in the pm.
As for the spots, I'mm gonna let the others chime in. It may be fungal. Do the spots look like little pieces of cotton?

You don't need a complicated lighting schedule. 10-12 hours a day is fine. On in the am then off in the pm.
As for the spots, I'mm gonna let the others chime in. It may be fungal. Do the spots look like little pieces of cotton?

abit i think , the one with the most white spots is far less active than the others and schools less, he didnt eat. Turned temp up to 28 to try and prevent spread and added 4 tsp of salt.

Back
Top Bottom