Is this angelfish sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RamonM

Aquarium Advice Newbie
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

Two Angelfish, out of 6. Suspicious white spots on their tail. It doesn’t seem to be Ick. The fish are normally active and their behavior is normal. See attached photo.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

The ammonia is good according to Seachem Alert <0.02mg/L
PH is 6.6
Nitrite 1mg/L

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

55 gallons
Setup on 6/18/2019 (2 weeks)

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

Fluval AquaClear 70 (300gph). Aside from the media it came with (sponge, activated carbon and ceramic noodles) I am using a purigen 100 bag. I took the activated carbon out yesterday.

I’m adding another Fluval AquaClear 70 with its sponge and Seachem Matrix and purigen this week.

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

6 juvenile angelfish
15 neon tetras
10 black neon tetras
12 guppies
1 bristlenose pleco
1 clown pleco
6 Bettas
6 Corydoras
2 dwarf gouramis

59 fish

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

2 days ago. 30%. Once weekly.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

Two weeks.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

I use Seachem Stability, Prime, Flourish, Flourish Excel, Flourish Iron, Fresh Trace.

The tank is planted and has a CO2 diffuser. Some of the plants are doing well (e.g. Amazon sword, Java fern, Java moss). Others not (e.g. Anubias nana).

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

A variety of food. Tetra flakes, freeze dried bloodworms and tubifex, pleco wafers, bottom feeder pellets, etc. A small amount, once a day, consumed within a minute.

I'm not seeing any photos. If you have nitrites and your tank has only been running for two weeks I'd say you aren't cycled. And if you aren't cycled I'd be doing 25% daily water changes being you fully stocked your tank with fish before cycling it.

Looks like Lymphocystis. It's viral so not much you can do about it besides trying to keep your water pristine.

Stressed fish will sometimes get this.

Hi,

Do I remove the affected fish?

My water parameters are good. I got the Nitrate to 0ppm today.

Thanks,

Ramón

Not sure if it spreads. I had this problem awhile ago with some black skirt tetras I bought from a big box store. I had several fish in the tank and only 4 of the black skirts got it. Eventually it got bad enough that I had to euthanize. This isn't always the case though and in a lot of cases it can go away on its own. From what I've read you have to keep the water pristine. No exceptions so the fish can build it's immune system up to fight it. Similar to how humans get over the common cold. I did recently read that dosing the tank with one round of bacterial meds once a week for several months does help it go away quicker in some cases but not all.

Back
Top Bottom