Is this fish sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MonkeyMonk86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is the only survivor from the 4 false julii I got (8/19/2014) that all died in 1st 24hrs. (All the store's must have died, too, b/c next day entire tank was sold out and they had just gotten them from shipper) he is in QT with 3 healthy false julii from a different store.

He has a red spot behind his gills on his body. These are the best pics he's letting me take right now. I'll try to get better ones.

Is he sick?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408995910.385847.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408995925.621743.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408995936.945556.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408995949.025638.jpg

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

Did you acclimate them to their new home? Did you pour them into the tank with the water from the fish store? Could be stress and tainted water. Have you tested your water? The red gills sound like ammonia issues. I'm by no means an expert.

Thank you for helping me!

I did a 40 minute drip acclimate and b/c I don't trust that store I moved them by net after the drip acclimate.

I test water regularity. Always 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 2-3 nitrates, 8.2pH.

33-50% PWC every 4 days. (It's a 2 gallon QT that I grow plants in when no one in QT and I keep filter with good BB by adding 10d ammonia every day when no fish in it.)

I was wondering about Ammonia burn. I never saw one. Does it look like the pics?

Ammonia burn would make sense as to why all the store's fish were gone and why I lost 3 out of 4.

I checked the corpses of the other dead ones, when they died and saw no parasites or ick or anything.

Thank you for helping me!

I did a 40 minute drip acclimate and b/c I don't trust that store I moved them by net after the drip acclimate.

I test water regularity. Always 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 2-3 nitrates, 8.2pH.

33-50% PWC every 4 days. (It's a 2 gallon QT that I grow plants in when no one in QT and I keep filter with good BB by adding 10d ammonia every day when no fish in it.)

I was wondering about Ammonia burn. I never saw one. Does it look like the pics?

Ammonia burn would make sense as to why all the store's fish were gone and why I lost 3 out of 4.

I checked the corpses of the other dead ones, when they died and saw no parasites or ick or anything.

I can't really tell from the pics, but from what I've read elsewhere about ammonia burns is the gills get extremely red. I had a pleco that got red all over the bottom and died and I think that was definitely an ammonia issue.

If your ammonia is 0, it is odd, but it could have happened at the store especially when they mysteriously sold out by the next day.

I would google images of cories with ammonia burns.

Thanks, Noviceafter2yea!

I googled ammonia burns but I honestly can't tell what's what from the pics that came up. And I can't seem to get a better pic of him yet.

Since his 3 buddies kicked in the 1st 24hrs. (and I did a 40 minute drip acclimate on them) and I got 3 from a diff store for him, I've been watching him real close. He's moving a lot more than he did and he's grazing on the plants now. He should have been doing that but didn't do that until today.

I'll just keep a real close eye on him and if I can get better pic's I'll post them.

Thinking back, the weird thing is I got an oto from that store ( the same day as this julii & the dead julii) and I unbagged and returned it b/c it had a red pinhead sized dot on it's side, not by the gill but on it's side... much smaller and a much brighter red. The ottos were in a different tank, but possibly on the same filter system.

What I have learned from these julii is that when you are on a wish list and they call you that your fish are in, do not rush to the store, wait at least 72hrs b4 going there to pick up your fish. I will never buy fish that just got delivered ever again.

I am sure about my own water being 0. I test meticulously. I'm on my 3rd master test kit and I just started fish keeping in Feburary. (And I've had to order extra ammonia test each time I've ordered the master)

All discoloration is gone today and he's playing with the other julii. So, I guess it was an ammonia burn from the shipping. Now, I guess, I know what an ammonia burn looks like.

All discoloration is gone today and he's playing with the other julii. So, I guess it was an ammonia burn from the shipping. Now, I guess, I know what an ammonia burn looks like.

Glad to hear he is doing better!

Just realized that the red coloration was the light passing through the red of the thermometer in the tank.

This morning, it wasn't there; 2 seconds later it was there, then gone again. I realized it was the stronger outside light passing through the red part of the thermometer b/c I only saw the red when he was in that one spot in the tank.

I hope this info helps others b/c I'm sure there are a lot of optical illusions going on when we are checking out our fish.

Thank you all for your help!!!

Back
Top Bottom