SUDDEN sick fish. Can’t identify

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ypopal

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I’ve had this betta for maybe 3-4 years now. I kept him in a betta bowl for most his life unfortunately. He was always healthy and made frequent bubble nests. After moving him to a 5 gallon with perfect parameters and weekly water changes he got sick. His bones poked out of his back fins and I quarantined him and have extra treatment. His was slow at the time and stayed in one spot. Ever since he healed he’s been very active and healthy.

Fast forward to today, maybe a month since he’s healed and in one day he went from perfect to this terrible color.

Water temperatures - ideal range
Parameters - perfect
Tank size - 10 Gallon
Tank mates - small school of guppies and a golden mystery snail
Water changes occur weekly

What is this? How can I fix it? How does it happen?

Last edited by a moderator:
3 to 4 years is max age for a betta. An elderly fish combined with the stress of a move could easily explain what you are seeing.

3 to 4 years is max age for a betta. An elderly fish combined with the stress of a move could easily explain what you are seeing.
Hey thanks a lot for responding. I’d like to note that this did not happen gradually. Maybe small spots appeared one night and I didn’t notice them. But it seems to have gotten to this point in maybe 1-2 days. Is that normal?

Its an old fish, its been moved to a new environment, its been sick, gone through a stressful period of medication. Yes i would expect things to take a turn for the worse over a short period of time. When fish start to show symptoms they often rapidly progress.

Back
Top Bottom