losing fish...high ammonia levels!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueeyes

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was at my friends house today when I noticed one of her goldfish was acting very strange. He would float, then sink, then sit on the gravel. Basically, totally lathergic. I commented on it and she then told me that one of her goldfish died suddenly 3 days ago as well and she didnt know what was going on. We looked at the otherfish: butterfly koi, arandas (spelling?), and other goldfish.... 6 total. Majority seemed fine except for the one goldfish and the butterfly kio. His fins did not look good, they were tearing and looked white. Her fiance suggested ich, however we did not think so since there were no spots. They tested the water and, as we assumed, the levels were all high. Ammonia was extremely high, as well as nitrates and nitrites. Ph was about 6.5. They were going to put the fish into a new tank, but I was thinking that the water must be the problem and it must be treated right away! What is the best way to go about this? Right now they are doing a water change, but we are sort of stuck as to what else needs to be done to make sure no more fish die. What should we do with the ones that seem already pretty sick? Thanks in advance for any advice. As you can tell, we are not too familiar with this. BTW, the tank is a 25 gal.

Goldies are very responsive to water changes salt baths..like a 3 tespoons per gallon.
If the water is changed 50% every other day and salted with epsom salt or aquarim salt. they should revive.
However with that many golds I hesitate to say it but... they need to be in a 55-75 gallon tank.
The rule of thumb with golds is 10 gallons per FISH. Most serious keepers use 15.
And they need mondo filtration because they are very messy (no real digestive tract..so it is in and out...often too since they can't get nutrients from fast rum through once). with little ones you can get away with 2/10 gallons.

There is a reason goldfish in smal tanks and bowls are always portrayed with swirly funerals onmn sitcoms and family shows. :? small space kills golds.
Add to teh messy tendencies the fact they are heavy oxygen users, and are built for water that stays 55-70 most of the seasons. Warmer water has less oxygen (the main reason you don't mix them with tropical fish). Amd more fish use up more oxygen and electrolytes. The perennial kid's fish is actually a high maintainance beauty. The discus of the cold water set.
A 29 can only safely hold 3 fish..4 if the filters are high speed, but this is cycled tank I am mentioning can take an overstock :|

ANd they had more? Yikes! They needd to downsixe by 2 adn upgraded the filter. ANd keep on top of that water quality.

Having high levels means the tank isn't cycled. You need to have the right bacterias to transform the nitrites, nitrates, and ammonia. Do a search on the nitrogen cycle for technical details.

What they NEED to be doing, right now is 33% water changes (are they using a gravel vacuum? If not, get one and use it) every other day for at least a week. Once that is done, test. If not any better, keep it up for another week. And when the levels get back to normal, do a change every weekend. Hopefully the fish that are in there will produce the ammonia needed to complete the cycle, without loosing anymore. Moving the fish to another tank will be just as bad unless it is already cycled.

Another thing that may help is an activated carbon filter. Do they have a HOB style filter? If so it should have carbon in it. When was the last time it was replaced? It should help break down elements and bring the levels back to normal. FYI, nitrite and ammonio should be 0, nitrate is best if 0, but is safe up to about 20 ppm or so. What type of test are they using? A strip or a real liquid test? If a strip, also go purchase a liquid test ASAP. The strips can't be trusted!

And the reason the fish are dying is because the high ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, burns the gills, scales, skin, etc. I hope the fish make it, good luck!

-brent

Poor water quality can only be helped by water changes--everyday and vac that gravel!
There is an article on cycling in the Articles section--please share it with your friend.

Could anyone refer me to a good site that offers info about cycling a tank? I'd like to read it as well as refer it to my friends. Thanks a lot!

Back
Top Bottom