Male guppy bloated belly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nathandohnt

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can anyone tell me why one of my male guppies has a bloated stomach. He's not really swimming sound as much as he usually does. The only thing I can think of is that one of the females gave birth and he ate to much of them but it seems unlikely. Help??

Could be constipation you could try the pea trick....cook a pea, take the outer shell off...smash the pea a bit and try to get the guppy to eat it....it works like a laxative.

If he isn't constipated it could be Bacterial infection.

How many fish are in the tank? what size tank? what are the water parameters? (Ammonia Nitrite Nitrate)
What foods do you use? do you use freeze dried a lot?
How does his scales look? are they sticking outward? has his color faded?

everything is fine with the water i have two other male guppies 4 female guppies 4 balloon mollies and they are fine

i feed them freeze dried blood worms once a day, i now know that it might cause constipation but i gave all of them a few peas to eat. they all eat it except the sick one

i put him into quarantine just incase. then about 2 - 3 hours passes and i found him belly up
his scales were fine his color was fine it was so wierd

I don't know.....could have been infection. Just keep a watchful eye on the others....i had the same problem with a couple of my guppies...bellies got bloated and found them dead later on......I know guppies can be very problematic from what i understand they are widely inbred and can have loads of issues and usually after the first generation of babies comes along most of the problems go away with that 1st gen. (once you get new DNA in the strain)

Sorry about your little guy. :( I had a female die last week with the same symptoms. Still don't know why. All others in tank have been very healthy so whatever it is I don't think it's catchy.

Back
Top Bottom