Multiple problems in my tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishieMomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
I read on the Internet (so it must be true!) to only feed my 55 gal community tank every other day and to combine this with twice a week 40%ish water changes. I use only Prime and fully cycled the tank before adding fish.

Current residents are:
2 angelfish who breed often (fry get eaten though)
12 large neon tetras
2 Micky Mouse Platys (had two others but they mysteriously died randomly)
4 blond male guppies (had 3 others but they died of cotton mouth about 5 months ago)
3 Cory catfish, 2 albino and 1 Julli ( had others but they died "randomly"' too.)

I don't understand why every month or so, seemingly randomly, I lose a fish. I stick carefully to the above schedule but in addition to those deaths, my Cories are losing their whiskers and fins very slowly. I understand that can be bacterial, but i've treated with the proper meds (which perk up the Cories, but then the rot starts again.

When I test the water, I ALWAYS have 0 ammo, 0 nitrites, and 20- 40 nitrates. My tap is at 20.

Am I overstocked? Go to 3 water changes a week? Open to all suggestions. I am going to pick up a few more plant to help lower the 'trates.

What substrate are you using? Corys can also lose their barbels to gravel etc that is too corse. Of course this can lead to a bacterial infection. I had a similar problem when i had the wrong gravel in my tank, to rough for corys, they lost their barbels and died. Years later i changed to sand and all is well !

Can"t really comment on the other issues im sfraid. In the Uk trates of 40 and below
are acceptable for alot of fish

Just a thought, others on here could probably advise something else.

jen31972 said:
It is a gravel substrate :(

Gravel can be ok - if it is not sharp. Their barbels get worn down by sharp edges.

A big issue for cories is your tank bottom needs to be pristine.

If you are over feeding, or not thoroughly vacuuming the gravel, this can hurt them.

I switched to sand as I got better at maintenance because I find it really hard to effectively clean gravel...

Pool filter sand is great & affordable! See my profile pics.

Good idea. I think that project will wait a few weeks till hubby-the-fish-tank-hater goes on a business trip!

jen31972 said:
Good idea. I think that project will wait a few weeks till hubby-the-fish-tank-hater goes on a business trip!

Cool! :D
So if that is the Cory trouble, and cottonmouth got the guppies, maybe the 2 platies were not in good condition. 2 "random" losses is reasonable.
I would keep an eye on them in case it's an internal problem, so that you can fix it if so!

Do you think my tank will be overstocked if I add a few more Cories?

jen31972 said:
Thanks for the advice, folks. Do you all get random deaths?

Yes, I have slowly learned enough to figure out what some of them were. Not always.

I have lost cories to ph swings, for example, that came from adding peat to my filter but not my pwc water.

I am thinking of new additions that die while looking fine when I say random.

jen31972 said:
Thanks for the advice, folks. Do you all get random deaths?

It has happened to me sometimes over the years. I guess some fish are weaker, like they could be inbred for instance maybe out of condition as mentioned in this thread. I just keep up with PWC, water tests and daily observe my equipment and fish to make sure everything and everybody is acting how they should, then take action if needed. Its the best you can do, but yeah, sometimes a random desth will still happen :(

Back
Top Bottom