My fish is sick help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

albert fish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My cichlid has a big bulge in his throat for two weeks naw and he won't eat I hurd that thay will sometimes leave unfertilized eggs in their mouth and it could get all nasty in there and could cause infections so I took him out of the water a little bit to check him out I didn't see any eggs down in its mouth I have no other idea what it is and how to treat it if anybody has any ideas on how I can treat and fix my fish it would be much appreciated

:welcome: to AA! :)

What kind of cichild? What are his other tank mates living with him? How big is this tank? What are your water parameters as in ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? Is this tank cycled?

he lives in a 45 octagon corner tank by himself he's about 8 to 9 inches and I have no idea what kind of cyclid he is.sorry. I have a lot of people telling me a lot of different breeds that he could be his tank was very low on phs so I did a 75 percent water change and a little bit of ph up the tank was back to normal.

Can you give us a picture?

Is this tank CYCLED?

How low was the pH? If your water quality is not off (ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates-give us a reading please), then I suspect it's the pH up. It has chemicals that will alter pH, but also harm your fish as they are toxic to them. Also, if you added too much, you may have had a massive pH swing and it could've shocked the fish and leaving him open to disease.

All I can say for certain as of now: STOP adding the pH up.

Could you answer:
1. Is the tank cycled?
2. What is the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates and what test kit are you using?

Also could you give us a picture? We could help you identify what kind of fish he is.

the water was acidic so I did the water change now the ph is are back to normal my nitrates water hardness chlorine alkalinity and ph levels are all fine I could supply a pic but I'm at work right now

my testing kit has 7 bottles and 4 glass vials I also have a quick dip testing kit chart that I double check my water levels with

I say you have an API kit, which is good. Test strips aren't very accurate however.
When you mean cycled with a bio-wheel...how long has it been cycled??? How did you cycle it?

My best guess so far is pH up causing harmful chemicals to affect your fish.

Do you ever clean your filter? If so, how?

yeah i hate the test strips thay suck lol.but i know my phs are not the problum.im wondering whats casing the big lump under hes gills i have naver seen this before its a purple lump i did some research online and its was saying that he could be blotted use aquarium salt thin it was saying how female fish will have unfertile eggs in there mouth that i would have to remove them my self and its not that aether.i clean hes tank once a month i feed hem 3 to 4 night crawlers avery 3 days and wash the dirt off them before i feed hem.naw he wont eat.hes breathing is changed and it looks like hes trying to spit something out or its a mouth twitch.he Duse not have much time left.also i dont think this has anything to do with what im trying to find out but there is this thing that is on hes tong like a wort or something it fills like hes tong wall as soft as hes tong but i know it might not be normal what could it be?i rilly do appreciate your help. i know you want to see pics of hem and i will have some up soon sorry.i do know for a faced that the lump near hes gills is whats killing hem if you want Google what im telling you so you can get in even beater under standing of whats going on to my fish albert.thank you so much. :)

i change hes filter pads once a month whin i clean hes tank i dont like to clean the filter pads and reuse them its just not my thing

Back
Top Bottom