Neon Tetra Disease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Badfisherman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just picked up 14 Neon Tetras 24 hours ago.

This morning I woke up to 3 neon tetras stuck to my filter and 1 upside down.
My LFS had a lot of dead fish yesterday...I shouldn't have bought them.
Even the bag of water smelled unusually fishy.

They say it's a PH problem because my PH is tap 7.6. The same guy that says all his fish are from florida and the PH is high so just keep it stable. I could tell he's lying, but enough of my rant.

Below are the details of my tank

20 gallon tall
0, 0, 7.6ph (parameters)
temperature in the 80's

2 electric blue rams
few brichardi fry

Why do I suspect NTD? - third of the fish's body turned white
some of the fish had fin rot on caudal fin

The rest of the neons are in the freezer currently.

I am just worried about the Rams and the brichardi fry.
I'm pretty sure I saw one of my rams pick at one of the infected...

I know Angelfish and other tetras are susceptible to this disease.
Would my rams and brichardi fry be ok????

There were a lot in the shop belly up
But i heard neons were weak so I thought the guy was right in telling me they usually have most that don't live after they come in. But he said the ones still avail (the 14 I got) were good for 3 days.

They were fine at 12am
9am
3 on filter. Bleach white.
1 on the substrate upside down.
2 away from the group with bleach white across the body.
4 in the group with fin rot.

Yikes!!

Bearing in mind NTD is pretty rare here (so I could be wrong) bad acclimatisation on their part, perhaps with some bacterial infection to explain the fin rot would do it. The neons just couldn't handle another change going to your tank, got stressed and lost colour before passing. This would match the quickness of death.

NTD is possible. If you saw any signs that suggested the fish had problems internally this might help confirm.

http://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com/2007/02/neon-tetra-disease.html?m=1

They did separate. Spines got curvy. White patches. Fin rot.
All checks out.
I didnt look for lumps. I love fish but i cant touch them let alone examine it when its out of the tank.

Though it is rare, ive been on fishlore and there seems to be alot of posts about NTD recently. maybe im wrong, but perhaps a distributor started the outbreak.

By the my fry have caught ich from my rams. I just noticed white spots on them two days ago. I started heat treatment a little over 5 days ago. Should i increase temp to 90? Roght now its at 86.

That does sound bad news. Here there has been some complaints of fish testing cost as fish come into the country but I think I'd rather pay a little more to have one fish in a thousand tested (or however they do it ), and have the peace of mind.

How are they adjusting to the temp? You could go to 88 if worried on cold spots in tank. I have had the tank go to 90 over summer and they were all fine.

There were a lot in the shop belly up

at that point you should have sighed and walked out.
I can't begin to tell you how many times I have gone to a store, cash in hand ready to buy and left with nothing because of suspect fish.
After being impatient succumbing to impulse buying and ultimately losing a tank of fish I had for over a year within 10 days to the tune of $500+, I have become VERY particular.
I just had to have that dang powder brown tang..:facepalm:

if a store has ill fish in tanks for sale, I generally don't buy from any of the tanks.
also take notice of there housekeeping practices.

Back
Top Bottom