Neon Tetra Disease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ringfinger

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had to put one my Neons in a quarantine tank because I thought he was showing signs of sickness. He has a colorless spot where the red meets the blue, and has a curved spine. I thought for sure that he would be dead by now...but he is going on 11 days now in the quarantine tank. Did I misdiagnose? I was under the impression that the curved spine was a dead giveaway for neon tetra disease. Sorry, no pictures.

QT is the best you can do. Loss of color and curved spine can also be indicative of TB, but is hard to know what the cause is. Be sure to wear gloves when you are cleaning his tank if you have any sores on your hands. It may be best to humanely send him to that big fish tank in the sky :angel:

I agree with Apocalyse_Gold. Sounds like TB to me. Treating with a strong antibiotic such as kanamycin might be your only chance. Usually however, it's too late at this point and it's best to euthanize.

Sorry to hear about your fish. :(

It could be either neon tetra disease or fish TB. The symptoms are very similar. I had the same thing decimate my 30 gallon tank a few years ago. The one or two fish that did survive I ended up euthanizing and I sterilized the tank using potassium permanganate.

If it is infact TB, be very careful with your hands. If you have a cut on your hand and you put it in the water, it can be transfered to you. I have heard of cases where people have had to amputate fingers and hands because of TB. It can cause lifelong illnesses.

Back
Top Bottom