Neon Tetras dieing off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshenanagins

Aquarium Advice Addict
So since I have started keeping fish I have noticed that my neons have the shortest life span. On an intersting note, one of my neons from the very first batch i purchased back in November is still kicking. I only know this because he lost an eye on what I believe was from plant decor and I felt terrible about it :(. But he is still doing very well. I recently bought ten when I had about 5 and after checking yesterday I am now down to 12 :huh: The ones that seem to die off venture off alone a lot and end up deteriorating on the bottom or my gold fish finds it and eats it which I think is strange. I have a feeling that they are just unhealthy when I recieve them because my tank is zero at all levels with a ph of 7. My german rams are doing well so if they are ok there is absolutely no reason for my tetras to be dieing off. Whats the deal is this common? I would prefer a hardier schooling fish if this is the case.

Gold fish

How big is your goldfish because I recently had to rehome mine because he was eating my plants and ate my small tetras. Some times goldfish eat smaller fish and he is most likely the culprit.

Tetras are also prone to dying off do to stress. Add fewer than 7 at a time, and do it with the lights off so they have time to adjust. That might help.

He could be eating them because he is the largest of all my fish but not during the day I dont think because I have never seen him act aggresive towards any fish unless they are all fighting for flakes when I feed them. I guess its a possibility during the night. Thanks for the assistance. I noticed one that was dieing yesterday his mouth was wide open and barely moving up and down when he was breathing. I have looked into this but havent found a straight answer.

Goldfish are poop machines. Test your water. Neons need clean water and will die much faster than a Goldfish in less pristine water.

Plus Neons need 76f temps and Goldfish are better at low temps.

Bad mix. Very bad for the Neons it seems.
I would immediately separate them.

How large is the tank ?
What do your water tests show ??
What is your total stock ?
What is your water change schedule ?

My Neons live about 5-7 Years.

Ok I searched out your Tank. I'd decide between Goldfish and Tropicals. Keeping Goldfish in warm water shortens their lifespan.

5 Goldfish in a 40g is overstocked not even counting your other fish. It's not what you want to hear, I know.

Common Goldfish need a Pond or very large tanks to thrive and reach normal sizes and live long healthy lives. They can live 20 years, 47 years is the record I think. They get 10-12"

Fancy Goldfish need 20g first fish and 10-20g for each additional Fish. That is minimum tank size. This allows room to grow to normal size and thrive.

Stunted fish die much earlier. Fancies can live 10-15 years.

A 40g tank is room for 3 Fancy Goldfish. 1 Common would still outgrow it as they get 10-12".

I love 40g tanks. I hope you figure out the path your tank will take. It sounds like you love your fish and that's priceless.

Goldfish are BIG fish, you only see babies normally because most people get bad info and kill them after just a year or two.

My customer had a 17 year old Fancy in a 75g tank with one other Fancy that died at 19yrs old.

Except for using too much salt he took excellent care of his fish. Once we reduced the salt his 17yo fish recovered and is still swimming.

Ok I searched out your Tank. I'd decide between Goldfish and Tropicals. Keeping Goldfish in warm water shortens their lifespan.

5 Goldfish in a 40g is overstocked not even counting your other fish. It's not what you want to hear, I know.

Common Goldfish need a Pond or very large tanks to thrive and reach normal sizes and live long healthy lives. They can live 20 years, 47 years is the record I think. They get 10-12"

Fancy Goldfish need 20g first fish and 10-20g for each additional Fish. That is minimum tank size. This allows room to grow to normal size and thrive.

Stunted fish die much earlier. Fancies can live 10-15 years.

A 40g tank is room for 3 Fancy Goldfish. 1 Common would still outgrow it as they get 10-12".

I love 40g tanks. I hope you figure out the path your tank will take. It sounds like you love your fish and that's priceless.

Goldfish are BIG fish, you only see babies normally because most people get bad info and kill them after just a year or two.

My customer had a 17 year old Fancy in a 75g tank with one other Fancy that died at 19yrs old.

Except for using too much salt he took excellent care of his fish. Once we reduced the salt his 17yo fish recovered and is still swimming.

Thanks for the wealth of information, I have no problem with criticism as I'm pretty new to keeping. I didn't realize typical comets can grow so large? I guess since their so plentiful you only seem them in feeder size and koi tend to be the showy ones. Thanks for your help. My gf likes goldfish so that's why I got a couple but im not a huge fan. I actual stopped feeding my turtle feeders because my conscience got the better of me. But my water is actually pretty pristine like I said, the rams are doing well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom