New fish death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Schmed

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 75 gallon freshwater tank set up since 2006. I got a terrible case of red and slimy green algae this summer when I didn't do my usual maintenance water changes for awhile and then went on vacation. I took out all the rocks and plastic plants, did multiple water changes (25%-50%) over about 2 weeks but then had floating algae (green water) for awhile. I added 3 live plants and the water is pretty clear, water tests all within normal ranges and good. I have 4 Buenos Aires tetras, 3 Columbian tetras, 2 blue gouramis, a pleco, 3 black skirted tetras, 3 serpae tetras. The biggest fish is a BA tetra who is about 3-4 inches long. The rest are fairly small. All doing fine and seem healthy, eating fine etc. I had them all before the algae problem--some over a year. I decided to add 5 Tiger Barbs. Within 24 to 72 hours, all died. More water changes, added the 30 day replacement fish and all died again. This has happened 4 times now. What am I doing wrong?

what are your water parameters
I like #s not kinda in normal range that dont help figure out the issue
how are you acclimating the fish are you doing a drip
or are you just floating the bag or just dumping them in

I prefer drip acclimating since water parameters can vary big time from bag to tank this also helps bring down the big jolt lessening stress (its like jumping out of a hot tub into Ice cold water or vice versa):D

follow the link for directions on acclimating your new editions(y)

Acclimation Procedure for Aquatic Life: Welcoming Home New Arrivals

:fish1:Oh and :welcome: to AA:fish2:

Are you quarantining your fish? If not, it's very difficult to know what the real issue is if your water is ok, which I'm sure it is with that many water changes. I wouldn't add any more fish w/o quarantining them so that you can watch them w/o anything in the tank.

Are you quarantining your fish? If not, it's very difficult to know what the real issue is if your water is ok, which I'm sure it is with that many water changes. I wouldn't add any more fish w/o quarantining them so that you can watch them w/o anything in the tank.

good point I got totally into typing that flew over my head(y)

Back
Top Bottom