OMG

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Derek015

Aquarium Advice Activist
Guys

Those neon tetras like i found 4-6 of them dead this morning stuck up agains the filter intake :cry: i dont know if they got stressed from that or if they died and got sucked in or what i have been feeding them and checking the pH regulary

what did i do wrong?

How long did you have them? What are your water parameters? Did your temperature flucuate over night?

Sorry to hear about your losses but obviously something went very wrong very quickly.

Do you have any other fish in the tank? If yes, what is their current condition? Also, if you have surviving fish, your present parameters are going to spike. Be prepared for PWC's.

i have about 4-5 survivng neon tetras :cry: they arent really schooling together they are staying away from each other dont know why tho

i tested my pH according to my pH chart its about 7.4ish

also why would my parameters spike?

Dead fish could cause things like amonia level to rise.

How often do you partially change your water?

I would recommend getting test kits for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite. That is the only way to know what has caused the problems. If you cannot do this immediately, ask your LFS if they can test it.

In the meantime, do a 25% PWC until you can get the results. Afterward, weekly changes of 25% is recommended.

You really do need to check things other than just the ph. Like was said earlier, get a test kit that will test for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates at least. weekly water changes are a must, i even do mine two to three times a week, also vac the substrate at least once every other week. usually do part of the tank each time i change the water. if your levels on the ammonia and nitrites are zero, and your nitrates arent high, you might have a disease in the tank, or gotten a bad batch of fish. but check those things first.

I am going to get a test kit the day when i got my tetras i brought some tank water to the fish store and they tested that my parameters were normal but with thier pH reader mine was off the chart

i tested thier tank water and theirs was off my pH chart

Yes my tank is fully cycled it has been up for about 3-4 months now the gold fish died about 4days before i got the tetras

Something might have stalled the cycle or caused another cycle. You need to get a test kit for your home and frequently test the water parameters like at least ammonia and nitrite. Don't get a test strip set, cuz they are usually junk. If you then see that either nitrites ar ammonia is still in your tank you can make a big water change and don't have to wait for your fish to die to show you sth is wrong.

Further, it is always good to make 25% water changes every week.

pH of 7.4 is a little high for neon tetras, but with good water conditions they should be fine. It would be helpful to know how all your water parameters are to be able to say why they might have died. They could have been sick, could have just been a bad "batch" or your water quality could have been the cause. If latter is the case you need to get the tank stable first before adding anymore fish at all!

Back
Top Bottom