*PLEASE HELP* [emoji24] very sick oranda

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

orandaKali

Aquarium Advice Newbie
*PLEASE HELP* ? very sick oranda

My sweet sweet oranda (Willy) is so sick. I started noticing signs of illness about 4 days ago. After testing the water and everything. and out normal I did a 50% water change in hopes that he would start to feel better.
He started to seem to get worse and by day 2 (of Willy being noticeably sick) I started noticing white spots which seem to be ich. So after a ton of research I began raising the temperature slowly to 80F. And added a second bubble/air stone I also added 3 teaspoons of Melafix.
Day 3 of Illness: Willy’s symptoms seemed to SKY ROCKET. And he now has a ton of red streaks in his tail and fins (which seemed to appear over night - and completely cause me to go in to panicked fish mom overdrive) I added 27 teaspoons of aquarium salt to my 36 gal bow front tank. Through out the day he was seeming to be a bit more like himself. Swimming around the tank more and acting lethargic less.

Today is day 4: when I got home from work Willy seemed to be okay (not even close to cured- but about as “stagnant” as he was as by the end of day 3.
But now after being home from work for about 2-3 hours Willy seems to be back at square one. He is lethargic, and floating at the surface and only swimming a little bit every once in awhile. I added 3.5 teaspoons of Melafix.

I don’t know what I am doing wrong- and I am so scared to lose my baby. Please help

IMG_7369.jpgIMG_5032.jpgIMG_7368.jpgIMG_7371.jpgIMG_7370.jpg

*UPDATE *

Adding more tank details-

36 gallon bowfront- been running since December 26,2018

Fluval 50 pump

Ammonia level = <0.02 ppm (safe)

PH level = 7.0-7.4

Nitrate = 20ppm

Nitrite = .5 ppm ( wee bit high- working on lowering)

Alkalinity= 120ppm

Temp is raised to 79F to treat ich (salt/heat treatment)

Last water change and substrate vacuum was 2/20 (2 days ago)

Willy is the only fish in his tank at this time. Although I believe he got sick after I added a pleco about 2 weeks ago- who is now gone. I have had wily for almost 9 months.

I have not added any new Decor recently but when I started treating him I remover all decor & plants aside from his bubble rods.

I feed Willy API sinking goldfish pellets and San Francisco Bay brand freshwater multipack frozen food, as well as blanched/skinned peas occasionally. He eats once in the morning and once in the evening.

Attachments

• IMG_7374.jpg
    IMG_7374.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
*UPDATE *

Adding more tank details-

36 gallon bowfront- been running since December 26,2018

Fluval 50 pump

Ammonia level = <0.02 ppm (safe)

PH level = 7.0-7.4

Nitrate = 20ppm

Nitrite = .5 ppm ( wee bit high- working on lowering)

Alkalinity= 120ppm

Temp is raised to 79F to treat ich (salt/heat treatment)

Last water change and substrate vacuum was 2/20 (2 days ago)

Willy is the only fish in his tank at this time. Although I believe he got sick after I added a pleco about 2 weeks ago- who is now gone. I have had wily for almost 9 months.

I have not added any new Decor recently but when I started treating him I remover all decor & plants aside from his bubble rods.

I feed Willy API sinking goldfish pellets and San Francisco Bay brand freshwater multipack frozen food, as well as blanched/skinned peas occasionally. He eats once in the morning and once in the evening.

If you are using test strips it is probable you have some part of it not giving an accurate reading.

Think there is a serious issue of the water parameters at some point recently. You should try 100% per day water changes.

Did you change filter pads/media recently or in the last month?

It sounds like you are taking pretty good care of him.

Antibiotoics are hard on fish if it seems like you can get it to clear with a day of super water changes and some salt.

If you have any plain epsom salts (not actually salt, magnesium sulfate) you could add it to the water changes.

It seems like ammonia poisoning. you could have had high ammonia before the previous water changes.

The fluval 50, is that an air pump or filter?

What filter are you running? Is all the media in it cycled, or is some of it new?

Other wise you might try
https://www.seachem.com/sulfaplex.php

Last edited:
Hi autumnsky thank you so much for your response.

The fluval 50 is my filter. And I changed the filter inserts after I noticed Willy acting Ill.

I will definitely go and purchase some epsom salt. And I will also try to order some of the medication that you suggested.

I am so grateful for you feedback (I’m sure Willy is too!! [emoji169])

Thanks again

Epsom salt info

Also I say this a lot, but try Epsom salts /plain no additives.

Start with one teaspoon per gallon dissolved in hot water. Add cool water to get it to tank temp and dechlorinator.

Over the first 24 hours add 1/4 to 1/3 of the mixture every 6-8 hours.
The idea is to urgently but gradually add it in. Honestly I have added the whole amount to a fish tank when I felt the little guy was likely to die and did not have any issues, fish got better over time.

Then add it back each time you do pwc so the amount per gallon stays in the water.

If he seems to be responding better, maybe up it to - up to 1 tablespoon per gallon.

You can make a concentrate ahead of time by calculating the amount per dose of water and Epsom salt per gallon, and adding it in for each gallon of water changed. Don't forget the dechlorinator.

Hope Willy gets better fast!

I'll add that if he has ich make sure to do a light gravel vacuum during every water change. Personally, I'd be doing 25-33% daily water changes.

Back
Top Bottom