Poorly Platinum Tetra (correct format this time - sorry!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lozzamogz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So sorry I didn't follow correct format in my previous post. Any ideas how I can delete it? Here are the questions and my answers:

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

I have a platinum tetra who is not well at all. I found him lying at the bottom of the tank, alive, 3 days ago. I quickly put him in a breeding box so that the other fish couldn't harass him.

I basically put him in the box so he could die peacefully but he's showing no sign of letting go yet... in fact, he's moving more! Occasionally he gets loads of energy and thrashes about, almost like he is having some sort of seizure. The only way I can describe this motion is like watching him swim very fast under strobe lights (it's jerky and weird). He does this for about 30 seconds before going completely still and lying on his side again)

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

Ammonia -0.0
Nitrites - 0.0
Nitrates - 10ppm
PH - 7
Temp - 26'c

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

50 litres. It has been set up for 7 months.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

Built in 3 stage filter system including sponges and both carbon and ceramic media cartridges.

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

3 Platinum Tetras
1 Platy
1 Guppy
3 Cherry Barbs

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel?
How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

Today. I vacuum gravel and do a 20% water change weekly.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

I have had him for about 14 months. I got them from a local, independent fish shop.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

No

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

King British Tropical Fish Flakes. Very occasionally they have bits of deshelled peas.

I'm worried about this little guy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, is it a jerkiness or twitching or shuddering while the fish stays in one spot?

And otherwise looks fine, good weight and round belly, had been eating well? No changes to tank recently or other fish deaths?

For now I'd suggest some extra water changes (temp matched) and change a carbon filter cartridge. My initial thought would environmental in the water chemistry (somewhere as specs look fine) so I'd try that first.

Hi, is it a jerkiness or twitching or shuddering while the fish stays in one spot?

And otherwise looks fine, good weight and round belly, had been eating well? No changes to tank recently or other fish deaths?

For now I'd suggest some extra water changes (temp matched) and change a carbon filter cartridge. My initial thought would environmental in the water chemistry (somewhere as specs look fine) so I'd try that first.

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

The jerking and twitching only happens when he's swimming but he spends most of his time lying flat on his side. He occasionally will just stay perfectly still in the water but doesn't appearing to be twitching then.

His weight looks fine but he isn't eating. There have been no changes to the tank and my other fish are all well. I have noticed that the vivid black triangle that Platinums have at the base of their tails has faded to almost nothing... he looks very pale and sickly.

I did a water change two days ago but will do another small one now. Thank you!

Laura

You could bump it up to 40% (temp matched) and see if several water changes make a difference. Also do you have a water conditioner that detoxifies heavy metals.

Generally I've seen that for fish that can't handle meds or have been poisoned in some way.

Is the colour loss looking like general fading from stress / unwell or is it patchy? Other option is some sort of internal infection but it doesn't sound like that.

You could bump it up to 40% (temp matched) and see if several water changes make a difference. Also do you have a water conditioner that detoxifies heavy metals.

Generally I've seen that for fish that can't handle meds or have been poisoned in some way.

Is the colour loss looking like general fading from stress / unwell or is it patchy? Other option is some sort of internal infection but it doesn't sound like that.

I will do that, thanks! I use King British Safe Guard to remove chlorine and heavy metals and also use King British Safe Water, which is a filter aid that removes ammonia and nitrites. Have been using these products for about a year now.

It looks like general fading.

I currently have him in a breeding box so that the other fish don't harass him. Last night he seemed a bit better so I let him out so I could observe what happened. He swam (with the jerky motion) for about 30 seconds before sinking to the bottom and lying on his side. I now have him back in the box.

He's been like this for around 5 days now. Hate that he is suffering but (right or wrongly) feel unable to euthanise.

Good luck.

It's a tough one with fish once they get ill but worth giving him a bit longer imo and he doesn't seem to be a risk of infecting other fish. The breeding box sounds ideal.

Back
Top Bottom