Question about my tank and the fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

murrayfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank is a 10 gallon and the levels are as follows. GH=0 KH=80 nitrites=0 nitrates=0 pH=0 The fish look like they are are spazing out and I don't know hat to do anyhelp is appreciated the tank has 1 guppy 3 mollies 1 ADF 1 mystery snail and 1 high finned read wag platy and two mickey mouse platys

Your Tank

My tank is a 10 gallon and the levels are as follows. GH=0 KH=80 nitrites=0 nitrates=0 pH=0 The fish look like they are are spazing out and I don't know hat to do anyhelp is appreciated the tank has 1 guppy 3 mollies 1 ADF 1 mystery snail and 1 high finned read wag platy and two mickey mouse platys

Hello mur...

The problem is likely toxins are too high and the water chemistry isn't safe for the fish. I'd start an aggressive water change routine right away. Every week, change out half the water in the tank. Don't add any more fish and get some floating plants and put those in, too. Anacharis (Waterweed) is excellent. It will help filter the tank water and make your fish feel more comfortable. Mollies are particularly sensitive to toxins in the water.

You have several "Livebearers", like Guppies, Mollies and Platys. These are brackish water fish and need a bit of salt added to their tank water. I'd add a half teaspoon of standard aquarium salt to every 5 gallons of your new, treated tap water. Don't use table salt.

In the long term, think about getting a larger tank. A 20 gallon tank is the smallest I've ever had success with, because with small tanks, there's not enough water to dilute toxins in the water, that are generally due to errors in tank management.

Just a couple of suggestions.

B

I was told not to use salt by my friend who has had 30 gallon plus tanks for 10 years. We have been doing water changes for the last week we took all the fish out the tank and they are in the 15 gallon tank I have with 4 other mollies and 4 gouramis. the test strips I used were API teat strips

Do a water change and i believe there is something wrong with your test kit if everything is 0. What kit are you using?

I have to agree theres something wrong with the tests- a ph of zero would dissolve your fish and your tank and your hands. What tests are you using? Do you have an ammonia test as well? How long has the tank been running with fish?

Back
Top Bottom