Rainbow fish not eating and wasting away, BUT WHY?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dnaelting

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 70 gallon tank with some plants filtered with a Ehiem can filter and Aquclear HOB filter. My water paramters have always been good; 0 amonia, 0 nitrite, nitrate around 20. Tank is 8 months old.

I had 11 rainbows, 1 died due to injury on my part a few months ago. A second rainbow just stopped eating, and after a couple weeks died. I watched for hours and never saw any aggressiion toward the rainbow from any other fish. I checked the fish and did not see any signs of anything on the outside of the fish. I did not autopsy it. :cry:

I now have a second rainbow that has stopped eating. Swim behavior and everything else looks normal. Just not eating and getting very thin. I don't have any idea what could be going on. They are not full size yet, so it's not old age.

Anyone have any ideas. :?:

First off do full spectrum water testing, PH, NH3, NO2, NO3 and GH* & KH* (if you have & use'em normally), how do your current levels compare to past and what exactly are they. Any temp fluctuation? New fish, unquarantined?
Mature tank, how old? How long have you had these Rainbows?

What are you feeding them? Have you tried black worms, brine shrimp, bloodworms, earthworms?

Could it be a disease? What is the faeces like? Symptoms of internal parasites is white poo and lack of appetite

Thanks for the input.

Further facts:
Ph steady at 8
GH 12
KH 5
Amonia and Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20ish

Allthese values have been steady. since winter is over temp has gone up slowly and now sits around 81.

The tank is 8 months old, these rainbows have been the original residence. We did a fishless cycle, so they were not exposed to high amonia, etc.

Feeding, variety of flake food and bloodworms (freeze dried) as a treat.

I will watch for the white poo, if I see it, we will know.

Thanks again.

I would also recommend some frozen foods, my fish go crazy for the frozen stuff more so than the freeze dried. The reaction I get when I put frozen bloodworms in the tank vs. freeze dried bloodworms is amzing. The only freeze dried food I would say they go crazy over is krill.

I will also agree that this sounds like an internal parasite type of situation, and the fish needs to be removed and treated, if possible.

I agree, we have seen white poo. So I tried to find the Jungle Labs parasite food, without luck. I have it on order, hopefully she will last until the food gets here. I will keep you posted.

I have heard of Rainbows dying with a wasting disease and it was fish tuberculous. I would have one checked that can be serious and if it is the tuberculous that I know about, it is possible that you could get it through a cut or broken skin on the hand or arm. I am not sure but it worth checking into
Ed

Yes, humans can get Mycobacterium infection, but it is pretty rare and most often Mycobacterium marinum, a SW bacteria that you might get from cleaning fish you caught or getting stuck with a hook while fishing.

This could definitely be TB, though, you are right, and for that possibilty it is wise to remove the fish to a hospital tank. The medicated food is great but only if the fish will eat.

Back
Top Bottom