Recurring Ich - I'm venting now!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thaiboxer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Short version...

2 weeks ago, got too many fish at once and some died - here's what I'd added:

8 rummynose tetras
4 guppies
2 gouramis

Well, after about 4 days 7 of the tetras and 3 guppies had died. I waited a week after that, everyone seemed healthy.

2 days ago, the last tetra died - looked like Ich took him really fast! There were no signs, then he was covered! I isolated him right away in a hospital tank and treated the water, but he died that night.

Last night, I saw it on my pleco and red-tail shark. Raised the temp (slowly, over about 6 hours) from 77 to 82, and started treating the 55 gallon with malachite green. Also added aquarium salt (I heard that helps) and am keeping the light off now. I figure to leave it that way for 3 days or so - starting to have algae problems anyways.

Late last night the pleco was dead.

Everyone else is playing nice and looks okay right now, but I'm very very frustrated. The shark doesn't have white spots anymore.

Why does this happen? My water is almost perfect - 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 7.4 pH... no spikes or anything.

Thanks for your help/sympathy.

ICH

If you can, try to slowly take it up to 84 deg for about 7 to 14 days and you will have ended the life cycle of these nasty organisms. ICH thrives in water under 80 deg. I would also run AC after that to clear out the medication you have put in there...You should be fine...Take it slow...You must have gotten it from the LFS..Not uncommon

Gourami are used to generally murky, dark, almost dirty waters in the wild which is probably why they pulled through OK.
Tetra's can be quite prone to disease, I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Sorry to hear about the rest. Sure it'll pan out nicely in the end.

I read your message and it was like deja vu. I am going through the exact same thing, though my fish were happy for three weeks before starting to die off. I have lost similar fish as you including three angels. Last night I saw ich on a red tetra and plan on medicating the tank tonight since I didn't have anything to treat it last night.

No real comment to help you out, but at least someone else is going through the same thing as you are. Best of luck.

With the temp at 83 now, 84 tonight, and the medication and salt that I've added, signs of Ich are gone.

I'm going to do the 3rd/final dose of medication tonight, and keep the temp up for another 10 days to make sure the ich is all dead.

I think I'm going to keep the temp high for when I add new fish in 2 weeks, also (assuming no more problems). I don't want to go through this again.

Part of the cause may be that my Fluval 303 died. I think I caught it right away, it was still humming but not pumping anything. Seems burned out. I got a Magnum 350 Deluxe last night. $$$, but nice filter!

How long did that 303 last? I have the 404 and love the design of the canister. Makes unhooking it a snap for cleaning. Haven't seen the Magnum line, so not sure how it compares. Good idea about keeping the temp high for a while. I would try it as well, but the adjustment knob broke off my heater a while back and it's hard to adjust. I might try though.

Hi Thaiboxer,

You wrote;
Part of the cause may be that my Fluval 303 died. I think I caught it right away, it was still humming but not pumping anything. Seems burned out. I got a Magnum 350 Deluxe last night. $$$, but nice filter!
Don't throw out your Fluval. "Humming but not pumping" sounds like maybe just the impeller. I know the shafts are quite brittle, maybe it broke? IMHO, I'd check it out.

Here are some links that might help.
Fluval Canister Filter Motor Maintenance
http://www.hagen.com/uk/aquatic/manuals/fluve13.cfm
Fluval 303 Exploded Diagram
http://www.hagen.com/uk/aquatic/manuals/fluve20.cfm
Fluval Parts Sheet
http://www.hagen.com/uk/aquatic/manuals/fluve17.cfm

As far as prices go, this is only the first place I found, you should be able to score a cheaper one somewhere on the net or from your LFS.
Fluval Impeller for the 303 Filter A-15840 http://www.petmeister.com/item969.htm

If it is cheap and easy to fix, it's always good to have a spare filter. Just in case you accidentally buy another tank. :oops:

Just in case you accidentally buy another tank.

The sad thing is, I know I will and it won't be that long! I want an African Cichlid tank pretty bad, but I'm making myself wait until this one's been established for > 6 months so I know it's not just a phase and that I'm willing to do the work!

I kept the Fluval - I'll tear it down and try to fix it. Thanks for all the advice!

Back
Top Bottom