red string from gill on tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eduguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello.
1 of my cardinal tetra has a kind of red stringy thing coming out of its gills. He acts normal and schools with the other cardinals and neons. Whats wrkng, if anything

Temp:80-84
Tankmates: neons and cardinals
Water change: 2-4 weeks because i have decent amount of plants

Thanks

You need to post a picture before any advice can be given. It sounds like a parasite.

Sounds like a parasite. Post a pic, that'll help a ton.

Sent from my C6730 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Pictures would definitely help- also the tank parameters too

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hello.
1 of my cardinal tetra has a kind of red stringy thing coming out of its gills. He acts normal and schools with the other cardinals and neons. Whats wrkng, if anything

Temp:80-84
Tankmates: neons and cardinals
Water change: 2-4 weeks because i have decent amount of plants

Thanks

You need to post a picture before any advice can be given. It sounds like a parasite.
I will Asap. 4 of them are now red gills but still 1 or 2 with the stringy things. Other two neons are unaffected. I have no set up tank to seperate them what should i do?

2yrumy2a.jpg

Example you can see the inflamed part. The cameras pretty bad so you cant see much but hope this is enough.

I don't see the strings- but red gills can often be a sign of ammonia poisoning. I would definitely test parameters to make sure everything is ok as a start

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You need to resize the picture as it is too big and blurry. Try finding some pic's of gill flukes and gill worm to see if either look similar to what you have.

Another note. I noticed that only my 4 cardinals have red gills and the 2 neons are fine.
Edit: It doesn't fit any of the descriptions that I looked at. Only bit of lost colour round gills and not eating as viciously as before. I feed them nls. If it is gill flukes would seachem paraguard work?
Also, should i just treat them now just in case?

I wouldn't treat for parasites if you don't know that's what they have. If gills are only red without visible parasites I would not treat for them.

Seems the redness subsided in all but 1 who still has a stringy thing still.

Back
Top Bottom