Red Tail/Rainbow Shark (not sure which one it is)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TCool

Aquarium Advice Activist
Like the title says, I can't really tell if this fish is a red tail or a rainbow shark. They both look pretty much the same to me. Anyway, it's belly has gotten larger than normal. I pulled it out of the main tank and stuck it in a tiny quarantine tank (1.5 gallons). I know this probably isn't big enough, but I originally thought it might be dropsy and didn't want it to be eaten if it died and causing problems for my other fish.

But, I'm not 100% sure what's going on so I figured I'd post a couple pics and see what people have to say about it.

img_1085800_0_b5195065f724ed32becc95cfcdd6aec6.jpg

img_1085800_1_d85635a838fc4b22159854cca60f777e.jpg

Anyone have any ideas what is going on here?

It is a rainbow shark. Red tail sharks get darker. It looks like dropsy but before i say it is what food do you feed?

It is a rainbow shark. Red tail sharks get darker. It looks like dropsy but before i say it is what food do you feed?

I mostly feed my fish shrimp pellets and flakes. This guy is usually eating algae off some of the stuff in my tank, but occasionally comes up for some flakes.

Feeding too much freeze dried food to fish can lead to constipation and bloating. My suggestion is throwing in some blanched peas and see if he eats them (which he should). This is a natural laxitive. My suggestion is to lean closer to the flakes and feed the shrimp a little less. Also maybe vary his diet with some other food every once in a while.

Well, the shrimp pellets are mainly for my silver tipped sharks and pictus and I only drop those in the corner those guys hang out in. I'm not sure if this guy ever gets any of that. But, I'd say 99% of the time it seems to ignore any food I stick in for the other fish and sticks to the decorations I have in there.

I'll try the pea thing tho, and what would you recommend for other types of food for this guy?

I would try some algae wafers and the flake food and shrimp pellets are good. I would make his main staple the wafers and flake. If you have never feed him the wafers he should really like them. Also frozen food is a good treat for him and the whole tank.

Also he looks a little skinny and i would make sure to watch and make sure he gets some food during feeding. Maybe squirting it infront of his cave to see if it eats.

Bad Water Quality can also be the cause. All of my fish including my Red Tailed Shark (very similar to the Rainbow) looked like that. I did some water changes and bingo, belly gone. I wish I could do that for my own belly.

Back
Top Bottom